<---- template headericclude ----->
I love this distro
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    sargek Guest

Talking I love this distro

You know, I've been using GNU/Linux for a very long time (8+ years) and have tried literally dozens of distros. I have predominately used source distros, but tired of the maintenance and finally switched to binary. Bouncing around from one binary to another, I always come back to Fedora. It just works. I must be lucky with my hardware, because no matter what distro others run, I always see people with hardware problems. I have never had a GNU/Linux hardware problem, oddly enough. Luck of the draw, I guess. Anyway, Fedora is awsome - no hassles installing it, no hassles using it, nothing, it just does what I need it to do. Yeah, it could be a bit faster, but I'll trade a few milliseconds of app startup time, and OS boot up time for stability and ease of use. Great job dev team - you rock.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While nothing is perfect, we do have an extremely good team working on FC. You might want to send praise directly to then here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate since they don't monitor our Forum but would love to hear positive feedback.

And, if you think FC5 is good, wait for FC6. I'm running the T-1 right now and very pleased with it - not perfect but certainly getting there very quickly!
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

sargek Guest
    Thanks Bob - will do.

Hiko Guest
    I will as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely many thanks to the FC team. I'll be sure to let them know. After all, they're working hard to make sure that we can enjoy the freedom that linux provides.

sargek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scotta3234
    Definitely many thanks to the FC team. I'll be sure to let them know. After all, they're working hard to make sure that we can enjoy the freedom that linux provides.
    And that is really what this is all about. Many, many GNU/Linux users lose sight of that with their petty little arguments about which distro/DE/shell is best, but the real issue is exactly what you just said: freedom. We could be stuck with something I'd rather not mention, but instead we have chosen to venture out and find a better place to hang our collective hats, if you will. Long live Penguins and Beasties !

bfc Guest
    I will add my kudos here.

I've been using Fedora Core for the last month and I love it!! I have to say it's the most polished Linux distro I've used to date. Even more impressive, it's working flawlessly on my laptop (knock on wood!!). Hibernate/suspend, wireless, etc, works perfectly. Fedora has no problems with my digital camera or mp3 player, printer, etc. Everything just works!

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Linux, ever since I installed Redhat 3.0 over 10 years ago. I officially left Linux (at least as a desktop operating system) about 4 to 5 years ago. I always used Linux on my fileserver (faithfully running Gentoo, for the last 3 years, Turbolinux before that) , but as a desktop OS it never seem to be “quite there”. Last month I was in the market for a cheap laptop (under $1000 CDN) and decided to see what was up with Linux, installing it on the laptop and I can't say how impressed I am. Linux has come a long way, since my first experience with Redhat 3.0, and I can't wait to see how much better it can get!!

Hats off to the Fedora Core team and the great community that surrounds it.

sargek Guest
    I have used Linux on the desktop since 1998 (Mandrake 5 ?) because I despise Microsoft, for various reasons, too many to list here. I do not consider their OS products to be viable, stable platforms for either desktops or servers, so Linux fits the bill quite nicely for me. Microsoft OS's are only good for gaming, IMHO.

I feel the same as bfc about Fedora: it is very polished, and feels complete. Everything just works. Can't ask for more than that!

sargek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bfc
    I will add my kudos here.

I've been using Fedora Core for the last month and I love it!! I have to say it's the most polished Linux distro I've used to date. Even more impressive, it's working flawlessly on my laptop (knock on wood!!). Hibernate/suspend, wireless, etc, works perfectly. Fedora has no problems with my digital camera or mp3 player, printer, etc. Everything just works!

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Linux, ever since I installed Redhat 3.0 over 10 years ago. I officially left Linux (at least as a desktop operating system) about 4 to 5 years ago. I always used Linux on my fileserver (faithfully running Gentoo, for the last 3 years, Turbolinux before that) , but as a desktop OS it never seem to be “quite there”. Last month I was in the market for a cheap laptop (under $1000 CDN) and decided to see what was up with Linux, installing it on the laptop and I can't say how impressed I am. Linux has come a long way, since my first experience with Redhat 3.0, and I can't wait to see how much better it can get!!

Hats off to the Fedora Core team and the great community that surrounds it.
    I have used Linux on the desktop since 1998 (Mandrake 5 ?) because I despise Microsoft, for various reasons, too many to list here. I do not consider their OS products to be viable, stable platforms for either desktops or servers, so Linux fits the bill quite nicely for me. Microsoft OS's are only good for gaming, IMHO.

I feel the same as bfc about Fedora: it is very polished, and feels complete. Everything just works. Can't ask for more than that!

Jman Guest
    I'm particularly happy that we have such a good community.

If anybody would like to go on record as to how sweet Fedora is contact the marketing people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Linux for a couple years now. I began with Suse 9.1 and kept it as my main distro up until a few months ago. I used to promote Suse to all that would listen but no longer. Fedora Core is the way to go. With the help of Stanton Finleys web site and Fedora Frog. Anyone with an interest can be up and running in no time.

It sure is nice not to worry about viruses, or spending hours on regular system (read: Windows) maintenance.

Something I don't understand, why do some distro's have good multimedia support right out of the box and Fedora Core doesn't???

sargek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Rider
    I've been using Linux for a couple years now. I began with Suse 9.1 and kept it as my main distro up until a few months ago. I used to promote Suse to all that would listen but no longer. Fedora Core is the way to go. With the help of Stanton Finleys web site and Fedora Frog. Anyone with an interest can be up and running in no time.

It sure is nice not to worry about viruses, or spending hours on regular system (read: Windows) maintenance.

Something I don't understand, why do some distro's have good multimedia support right out of the box and Fedora Core doesn't???
    There are licensing issues with some media formats, so Fedora has chosen to not support those out of the box because the licensing is not in the spirit of Free Software, or Opensource. Please correct me if I explained this wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, Fedora chose not to because of licensing. I thought maybe some distro's hailing from other countries weren't bound by the same licensing regulations.

Thanks. It's nice to see people sticking to their principles insteading only chosing principles that are convenient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The multimedia plugins are not included due to US patent law afaik. Many european and asian countries don't have these rigit patent laws and thus, their distros include quite often the muitmedia plugins like mp3. It really depends on the law of a country that applies for a distro. And then there are of course a few distros that seriously provide you only with free stuff as it fits their moral view.