Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th August 2006, 07:16 AM
frodopunk Offline

volume muted everytime I reboot FC5

Hi there all, can anyone help me out with my sound being muted every time I reboot. I remember having the same problem with FC4, but now I forget how I fixed it then.I have tried "alsactl store" but I get a command not found error.
Old 7th August 2006, 07:21 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

locate alsactl
/sbin/alsactl
/usr/sbin/alsactl
Is sbin in your path, did you try as root?
Old 7th August 2006, 07:24 AM
frodopunk Offline

Hello, yes I did /usr/sbin/alsactl store as root, and got the command not found error?
Old 7th August 2006, 07:52 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Does alsactl actually exist there? You could be missing a package. I have ...
alsa-lib-1.0.11-4.rc2.i386.rpm
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.11-4.rc2.i386.rpm
alsa-tools-1.0.10-2.fc5.i386.rpm
alsa-utils-1.0.11-4.rc2.i386.rpm
alsamixergui-0.9.0-0.2.rc1.fc5.i386.rpm
Are you running gnome or KDE? KDE you can set the levels and go to the kmenu and save session. Don't know about gnome, but I've read several threads in the past that said Gnome's save doesn't work like it should.
Old 7th August 2006, 08:04 AM
frodopunk Offline

oh I think I know what is going on now, I am using the kernel-module-alsa-2.6.16-1.2080. from the planet ccrma repo, and I have the livna kernel-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 running now.I should have checked that first, so thats my mistake.
Old 7th August 2006, 08:21 AM
frodopunk Offline

I have these packages,
alsa-lib-1.0.11-4.rc2
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.11-4.rc2
alsa-utils-1.0.11-4.rc2
alsa-tools-1.0.11-1.rhfc5.ccrma
alsamixergui-0.9.0-0.2.rc1.fc5
Old 7th August 2006, 01:32 PM
wneumann Offline

alsa-utils installs the following (amongst other things)

/sbin/alsactl
/usr/sbin/alsactl
/usr/share/man/man1/alsactl.1.gz

according to "rpm -ql alsa-utils |grep alsactl"

Maybe you mispelled when you issued the /usr/sbin/alsactl command?

I have a line

remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

(all on one line) in my modprobe.conf that automatically stores configuration as alsa unloads on shutdown. You'd have to modify it for your sound module if it is not intel8x0.

Last edited by wneumann; 7th August 2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 7th August 2006, 03:18 PM
frodopunk Offline

Hello wneumann, I have checked my modprobe conf and I have these lines concerning my soundcard, which is a soundblaster128.If snd-ens1371 is not the proper sound module name, how can I find out the proper one so that I can edit my modprobe.conf accordingly?

options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-ens1371 index=0
remove snd-ens1371 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ens1371

Also do I need both these lines "options snd-card index=0" and "options snd-ens1371 index=0"
Old 7th August 2006, 04:48 PM
wneumann Offline

That looks like the correct driver. But I'm now puzzled myself about what runs "alsactl store" for me on shutdown. Earlier versions of fedora had an alsa service that loaded and unloaded the modules, and that was when that line would be run, but I can't see what is unloading the modules now. Maybe someone else can tell us.

In any case, whatever it is does not work for you so you might want to write your own script to run on shutdown and startup.

First you might check if /etc/asound.state is created when you shutdown. If so, your sound state is being saved and it is the restore on boot up that is failing. That would be easy to fix with a line in rc.local. Otherwise, use some simple script in /etc/init.d as a model and write a script that runs

/usr/sbin/alsactl store 0

when called with "stop"

and

/usr/sbin/alsactl restore 0

when called with "start"

If you need more guidance on this post back or send me a private message.

PS before you start writing a script check that "/usr/sbin/alsactl store 0"
and "/usr/sbin/alsactl restore 0" do actually work for you. You need to run them as root.
According to your extract from your modprobe.conf your soundcard is card 0, but I'm beginning to wonder how much fedora actually uses modprobe.conf.

Last edited by wneumann; 7th August 2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 7th August 2006, 05:13 PM
frodopunk Offline

Hi wneumann, yay! finally got it working properly, I deleted my asound.conf and thats all I did, and when I rebooted my computer the volume was no longer muted .I must have mucked it up somehow? Thanks much for helping me figure this out. regards, frodo
Old 8th August 2006, 02:50 AM
frodopunk Offline

I had a look at my alsactl in sbin, but it was not set as executable, it was sitting in there as a plain text document, not sure how that came about, so I deleted it reinstalled alsa-utils and now "alsactl store" works as it should. I also ran system-config-soundcard and that regenerated my asound.conf and asound.state which I had previously deleted.
Thanks again wneuman for help.

Tags
everytime, fc5, muted, reboot, volume