Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st August 2006, 07:21 AM
raport Offline

modprobe fatal could not load lib/modules....

dear friends,

i have 3 hard disks. one disk for windows, two in fedora core 4 . one is running and one is not which i only use as a a slave drive. i upgraded fc4 in the working disk to fedora core 5 by disabling the two other disks. i did this by removing the cables from them.

prior to upgrade i run fedora core 4 by booting in the concerned disk through BIOS boot selection. if ever i choose to start in windows i just select the other disk in windows in BIOS boot up. the other disk in fedora has a grub error. but i didn't mind because i'm only using it as a slave disk which i can access through fedora core 4 in the other disk. the windows OS is working fine too in this manner.

i successfully ugraded to fc5. but when i connected the hardisks and booted to fc5, the welcome fedora text showed up but just a little while the message modprobe fatal could not load lib/modules.... appeared so fast that i could not catch up with it followed with a blank black screen with letter X in the middle. nothing happened next except that it hung.

i removed the cable from the other non-working fedora core 4 disk and boot up again in fedora core 5. all went fine with all the splendid FC5 new features in display. from this i concluded that the other fedora core 4 disk is the problem. i have important data in the said disk to retrieve. how could i possibly recover the data and make fedora core 5 running with the three disks connected.

thanks for any help.

raport
Old 2nd September 2006, 03:51 AM
Jman Offline

If you can't hot swap the drive in while FC5 is running you could boot a Linux live CD, and mount both drives and copy over.

Tags
fatal, lib or modules, load, modprobe