Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th September 2006, 09:42 PM
LenL Offline

backup and restore

Does FC5 provide tools to back up the hard drive and if needed to restore the backup? I'm asking because I see lots of posts about problems after doing updates and not much talk about backing up before updates and doing a restore if there are problems. I'm new to LINUX but in WIN 2K Pro their are tools to backup files or your complete drive and restore if needed.
Old 5th September 2006, 09:45 PM
wintersm Offline

have a look for 'mondo' archive, its in the extras.. it will do a full backup and create bootable cd's for restore..
Old 5th September 2006, 10:08 PM
LenL Offline

Super!

Thanks for the quick response! I will follow on your suggestion ASAP!
Old 5th September 2006, 10:11 PM
pparks1 Offline

Quote:
backing up before updates and doing a restore if there are problems
I've never yet had to restore a linux box to get functionality back. i've only had to restore a few files here or there, replace a configuration file or uninstall an RPM and install the old version again.

I'm a firm believer in backups, don't get me wrong. I just believe in backing up the actual critical files and simply reload the OS to get the core functionality back if something breaks.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..

Tags
backup, restore