Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th October 2006, 11:41 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Yes - Basically a reinstall but you *could* theoretically do it through yum. Either way, if it's on a remote system, you're best bet's to use that rescue package to resize your partition and create a second (about 7GB in size) and then download the Fedora images and any backups onto it. Format the other partition, use anaconda text mode over SSH to install to the second partition, then boot off the new installation, restore backups.
Firewing1
Old 5th October 2006, 11:56 PM
Adesso Offline

My service provider seems to have updated their systems, and a new install of FC4 now stands on 2.6.18, needless to say, the mounting of the DVD works...

now just to install anaconda from the DVD... going to be some work.. and then text anaconda install..

How do I start the install from command line? Assuming all is installed and so ? Its not as simple as running setup.exe...

THanks for the help so far Firewing...

EdIt:

So far I guess it would contain chroot to the mounted image(ISO).... then installing... but this makes me wonder. If you chroot to a disk image, would you not also need to mount the HDD so the installation would know where to install the files? And what about the proc dir? The more I read about this, the less clear it becomes what I am suppose to do...

So the machine works like this so far. It has 2 HDD, 1st HDD has the FC4 on it and 2nd HDD the ISO DVD of FC5 mounted to a directory in /backup. The 2nd HDD is partitioned to have only a single partition.

This allows me then to boot the box, mount the ISO and then..... chroot?

Something I just wanted to mention, was that uname -a does not report the full Linux name of the installed OS, it only tells me GNU/Linux or something.. Is there a CLI command to report back on the flavour of Linux that I am running, or am I too hopefull, should I put it on my wish list for christmans, or is there something that will spit out names like Suse/Debian/Slackware/Ubuntu/Knoppix/Fedora when asked what OD the machine is running?

My Work Box
My Home Box

Last edited by Adesso; 6th October 2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 24th October 2006, 01:10 PM
Adesso Offline

Case closed then... I gave up, and am muddeling along on FC4 until whenever. Pitty that I could not upgrade to FC5... i was really looking foward to it.. but for now I guess FC4 will have to do...

My Work Box
My Home Box

Tags
existing, fc4, fc5, install, remote