Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st September 2006, 11:34 AM
Pietri85 Offline

fc5 hangs on startup

hello,

I have a strange problem. When I start fedora core 5 it all goes well, it loads all the staff and then the screen is blue. For a few seconds this is normal, after that the login screen should appear. But on my box the screen is blue for a long time and only pressing ctrl+alt+F5 takes me to the login screen. But then I can't surf in the internet, firefox browser says that he isn't able to find the server...
When I reboot after this issue the box starts up normally and I can surf in the web and so on. Can anybody tell me what this is (perhaps a bug?) and how I can solve this?

mfg, Pietri85
Old 21st September 2006, 01:18 PM
JoeyJoJoe Offline

right, if you go to the terminal you can do;

Code:
 su -
<root password>
dmesg -n 1
This, as I understand will print any kernal panics... which might be what causes the blue screen issue - this might only work after the problem has just happened. Other than that maybe when your starting up there is a problem with starting the network, which would certainly cause issues with the net. For that I would do;

Code:
 su -
<root password>
/etc/init.d/network stop
/etc/init.d/network start
Now that stops the network and starts it again which should sort out any problem, it won't give a permanent solution though, if you do have any results come from the dmesg -n 1 then you can post that and it might give you some help there.
Registered Linux User #416286
Old 21st September 2006, 03:15 PM
Pietri85 Offline

ok, thanks for help. I will follow your tipps the next time the problem appears and post the results here.

Greetings, Pietri85
Old 22nd September 2006, 01:05 PM
Pietri85 Offline

hello,

when I booted fedora today I had the same problems. Your dmesg commands above had shown nothing. Firefox didn't load pages with the message "Can't find Server". Then I stopped and restartet the network interface with your commands above. Then firefox could load file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html, but still no website. Yum does not work either. After that I rebooted several times now, the problem now is that pressing ctrl+alt+F5 (or any other FX key from F1-F6) does not work anymore. I tried interactive startup by pressing "I", there I didn't load the network service, but the system still does not start, it hangs when the screen becomes blue after loading the services. And when you then press ctrl+alt+F5 the screen becomes black with a little white line in in the upper left corner and hangs at this point. I can not boot fedora anymore. What can I do? With interactive startup I had no chance to boot in runlevel 3, perhaps this would help. And the /etc/inittab I can not edit in order to boot in runlevel 3 because fedora does not boot. I have even tried to edit this file via a knoppix live cd, without success. I am now running windows. Have you any idea how I can boot fedora once again?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. And excuse the language mistakes, grammar or spelling mistakes, my english is not good enough to describe this problem in an appropriate way.
Thanks,

Pietri85

Last edited by Pietri85; 22nd September 2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 22nd September 2006, 02:23 PM
JoeyJoJoe Offline

very interesting, and concerning, I'm not sure why it would be acting like this... Right, if you want to get in you can use the fedora DVD which you installed with (or maybe the first disk if you did cd install) then boot into that (maybe by pressing F12 at start-up... that's how it is on mine - or you could change that in the BIOS to boot first from cd and then change it back later) when you get into that you can go to linux rescue (maybe you need to press F5 and then it will give you the options, so you can type linux rescue).

Right, so you've done that you can then chose what to start, you might want to start the network (you will be default have some text based browser - i think its called lynx - but you might not want to use that, you can also chose to mount hard-drives) this should let you get access to the files you wanted to look at and be able to use vi to change them (I find it hard to use, I hope you can, failing that I'd have a little read before hand).

I'm not sure though that this will solve the problem though.... it doesn't seem like it'd hurt. If it doesn't I'd wait and see if anyone has any other ideas
Old 22nd September 2006, 02:34 PM
Pietri85 Offline

hm, I was running windows to describe the problem here. 3 minutes ago I rebooted and tried to boot fedora. Now all has gone well, I'm running fedora and all websites I type in appear on the screen. Yum also functions...
It looks like that I have to boot windows when fedora has this problem, after booting windows it works. If this functions a few times more, these things must be somehow connected. It is very confusing...I will have a look at this behaviour. And I will also try the tipps that you have posted here.

Thanks, Pietri85

Last edited by Pietri85; 22nd September 2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 22nd September 2006, 04:43 PM
JoeyJoJoe Offline

I'm glad it's working for you, but I'm still puzzled by this behaviour from fedora. I have no idea why it would be doing this... maybe someone else might be able to come up with more and I'd certainly be interested to find out why it would do such a thing.

If you ever get a firm answer maybe it would be good to let the fedora developers know of the issue through bugzilla.
Old 22nd September 2006, 05:00 PM
Pietri85 Offline

yeah, I'm especially wondering about is: why does booting windows when this problem appears solve this? (If this was no coincidence. If this was coincidence or not will be clear after the next few reboots
I have thought mention this at bugzilla, too, but before I do this, I will search a little longer. I'm interested if this is already mentioned in bugzilla or not.

Thanks, Pietri85

Tags
fc5, hangs, startup