Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th September 2006, 10:49 PM
tech291083 Offline

How to set up Samba : Step by step guide needed

Hi,

i have two pcs both running Fedora 5. both have only Fedora on them no other os. and both the spces are good as well more than 1.5 ghz and 512 mb ram etc. i want to connect them both using Samba i guess in order to share print, file, e-mail all that can be done. one should be the server and anohter one the client. i have been looking around the net to find a guide to setting up samba for newbies like me on Fedora 5 but can't seem to be able to find any thing at all with reference to Fedora 5. most of the material is about connecting windows and linux using samba which is not the case for me. mine is both fedroa 5 pcs as said earlier. can any one please give me a simple step by step guides/urls that i can try to follow on my own. since i want to connect only 2 pcs, i hope it should be not that difficult even for an idiot like me. thanks guys.

Last edited by tech291083; 26th September 2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 27th September 2006, 02:26 AM
pparks1 Offline

There is generally not a good reason to use samba unless you have a windows client that you need access to. Samba is an implementation of the SMB (Server Message Block) protocol that Windows boxes use for networking. If you don't have a Windows box, you don't have a need to run SMB. Without a need for SMB, you don't really need Samba.

You can share files and folders quite easily between linux machines with
1. scp
2. nfs
3. sshfs

Look into those options. scp is the easiest, becuase you likely have everything you need already

example scp /etc/data/file1.txt root@second_machine:/home/user/.
(copies file from current linux box called file1.txt to the /home/user/ directory on the second box)

example scp root@second_machine:/home/user/budget.odt /etc/databackup/
(copies a file called budget.odt from the second linus machine to a backup directory on the current machine called /etc/databackup).

Hope that helps shed a bit of light for you.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 27th September 2006, 08:24 AM
tech291083 Offline

hi,

great help mate. thanks a million for that. you are right and bang on target. i am just using 2 pcs with fedora 5 on it. there is no windows involved at all. so i agree with you 200%. but my question is:

1. can i make a network of 2 in order to learn the linux side of networking. i want one of them to be the server and other the client. is this possible if yes then what do i need to use scp, nfs, sshfs?

2. i want the servr and client to files, folders, printer, mail all that is possible. but i do not know what else is possible. can you please tell me as what i can do more or what the possibilities are?

I am very new to linux and trying my bestto lern as much as i can on my own, so please guide me and thanks a lor for your time. i really appreciate it.

Tags
guide, needed, samba, set, step