Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 2nd October 2006, 11:55 AM
technoshaun Offline

How To Get the Creative Instant Web Cam up and running in Fedora Core 5 Model VF-0040

Required Files

The source code for your current Kernel, in my case at the time of this writing it was kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp.

You will need the to download the source code for the web cam driver here:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Downl...0060925.tar.gz

Unpack the tar file and then go into the directory it upacks to. Run Make and as root run make install. Now unfortunately even though it runs the install correctly it doesn't get anywhere that 'insmod' seems to see it. So you need to copy the .ko file to a directory it belongs in.

as root: cp gspca.ko /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp/kernel/drivers/input/misc/

Now the kicker 'insmod' still won't see it SO i did a neat little cheat. Go to the directory you copied it in using a GUI file browser as super user. I don't know if this works in Gnome but in KDE you can right click it and select "Open With" and in the dialog box type insmod then select 'OK'.

I tested it with Camstream and I can see myself on a screen and I have it taking shots every 15 seconds. Its working though the picture is a bit grainy.
Old 2nd November 2006, 08:51 AM
lichmaster Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoshaun
Required Files

The source code for your current Kernel, in my case at the time of this writing it was kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp.

You will need the to download the source code for the web cam driver here:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Downl...0060925.tar.gz

Unpack the tar file and then go into the directory it upacks to. Run Make and as root run make install. Now unfortunately even though it runs the install correctly it doesn't get anywhere that 'insmod' seems to see it. So you need to copy the .ko file to a directory it belongs in.

as root: cp gspca.ko /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp/kernel/drivers/input/misc/

Now the kicker 'insmod' still won't see it SO i did a neat little cheat. Go to the directory you copied it in using a GUI file browser as super user. I don't know if this works in Gnome but in KDE you can right click it and select "Open With" and in the dialog box type insmod then select 'OK'.

I tested it with Camstream and I can see myself on a screen and I have it taking shots every 15 seconds. Its working though the picture is a bit grainy.
hello and ty for the post... im a recent convert from windows and have had very little trouble getting most of my old devices to function under FC5, until my poor lil wecam [creative Live! fv-0050] i DL'ed the archive but when i typed 'make' from the extracted folder i got the following error:
Quote:
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/magus/gspcav1-20060925 CC=cc modules
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2200.fc5/build: No such file or directory. Stop .
make: *** [default] Error 2
my kernel is more recent [2.6.18-1.2200.fc5] but the website you link to says it should work on all kernels above 2.6.11

so where am i going wrong? and...
if all else fails, can i use the winXP drivers in conjunction with wine?

thanks in advance for any help you can offer this poor nooblet
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:31 AM
technoshaun Offline

Yuo don't have the source code for your kernel installed. Use Yumex to search for the source and header files you need. They will be in a single package. You will have to turn on the core source repository I believe to download it.

BTW the module will not compile in FC6.

--Shaun
Old 4th November 2006, 06:41 PM
lichmaster Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoshaun
Yuo don't have the source code for your kernel installed. Use Yumex to search for the source and header files you need. They will be in a single package. You will have to turn on the core source repository I believe to download it.

BTW the module will not compile in FC6.

--Shaun

awesome ty... i'll try that when i get home

Tags
cam, core, creative, fedora, instant, model, running, vf0040, web