Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th October 2006, 06:59 PM
Kluster Offline

How can I read Backup Exec 10d tapes with linux?

I currently have VMware installed with an XP pro virtual OS running Veritas Backup Exec 10d to manage legacy tapes. I'd really like to use linux to read this data.

Can anyone point me to some linux software that can read a tape written by Veritas Backup Exec 10d?

Thank you
Kluster
Old 6th October 2006, 07:43 PM
markjensen Offline

It doesn't seem that Symantec/Veritas has a Linux version of the app to use. And, I guess that the file format is proprietary and can only be used by their software.

I might be wrong, but you may be out of luck, if this is the case. You can read the file, but you will likely not be able to extract the data out of it (unless the app works in wine, maybe?).
Old 6th October 2006, 08:19 PM
Kluster Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjensen
I might be wrong, but you may be out of luck, if this is the case. You can read the file, but you will likely not be able to extract the data out of it (unless the app works in wine, maybe?).
Thank you.

I'm hoping to avoid the attempt at installing backup exec under wine...it has to run sql server and I'd think that would be a nightmare to get working under wine.

The biggest problem I'm having is tape / scsi driver performace. Instead of 35MB/s I'm getting around 4MB/s. I'd be nice to get native speed under linux just to read these tapes. It's taking 1/2 a day just to unload the data on each tape.

Kluster

Tags
10d, backup, exec, linux, read, tapes