Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th October 2006, 05:11 PM
KRAZYBASTID

Grub Splash Image Help

Hi I made some cool grub splash images I erased the default one. And I tryed to put on my new splash image in grub and no matter what I do my splash image won't come up. I have converted all my splash images to xpm.gz like I was suppose to and have been typing in: splashimage=(hd0,4) /boot/grub/images/alien-night.xpm.gz or is it suppose to be: splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/images/alien-night.xpm.gz without the space. I've done it both ways and I still couldn't get my splash image to come up. If anyone knows if theres something else I do I'd appriciate it. Thanks
Old 10th October 2006, 07:26 PM
techmatt Offline

Requirements for GRUB splashimages:

1. xpm.gz file type
2. 640x480
3. 14 colors only

If it does not meet these it will not show a image

Registered Linux user number 433760
Old 10th October 2006, 07:56 PM
KRAZYBASTID

I did those things but it still won't show
Old 10th October 2006, 08:10 PM
markjensen Offline

Attach the file, or a link to it stored somewhere online, so we can look at it.

EDIT: You can also try to do a identify image.xpm on your source file to see if it matches the requirements.

Last edited by markjensen; 10th October 2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 28th November 2006, 03:15 PM
KRAZYBASTID

Someone please type in with more help on splash images I'm having problems getting my image to come up even though I did it right.
Old 28th November 2006, 03:57 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hi Krazy,

I found when I replaced mine, file size is important too. Stay as close to the original as possible. Also avoid any alpha channel.

Dan
Old 28th November 2006, 04:11 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Hey, Alien night is a wallpaper. You arent trying to use that image unmodified are you? Once again, requirements are 640X480 pixels and 14 color! I think this last one is screwing you up. Open your image with the gimp, go to image-mode-indexed and make sure this is no greater than 14.
Old 29th November 2006, 06:43 PM
KRAZYBASTID

Well I converted a wall paper called Alien-night.jpg to an xpm and I placed it in grub and did the entry for it and at boot the screen comes up black and the text is in purple. Did I do something wrong?
Old 29th November 2006, 07:01 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Again, it has to be 14 color! This will make a 256 color wallpaper look very funky. Please, open your xpm file with The Gimp. Go to "image" on the toolbar. Then "mode" then "indexed" and make sure the box that says "maximum number of colors" is 14. Then go to "image" and "scale image" and scale it to 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high. Then save it under "whatever.xpm.gx" Then go to /boot/grub and change "splash.xpm.gz" to "splash1.xpm.gz" provided that file is still there. Then copy your picture into /boot/grub and name it "splash.xpm.gz" This should do it for you.
Old 29th November 2006, 07:04 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
Again, it has to be 14 color! This will make a 256 color wallpaper look very funky. Please, open your xpm file with The Gimp. Go to "image" on the toolbar. Then "mode" then "indexed" and make sure the box that says "maximum number of colors" is 14. Then go to "image" and "scale image" and scale it to 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high. Then save it under "whatever.xpm.gx" Then go to /boot/grub and change "splash.xpm.gz" to "splash1.xpm.gz" provided that file is still there. Then copy your picture into /boot/grub and name it "splash.xpm.gz" This should do it for you.

edit: of course if you already edited your menu.lst entry to the file name of your choice you can keep this too. If this grub screen dosent work why not just make something easy, crappy and childish in gimp...like just paint two colors and try using that as a test to see if you are doing it right. then move up to the image you want to use.
Old 29th November 2006, 11:56 PM
mlavalle Offline

When I made mine, I found that any I compressed to .gz would not load. If I left them as just .xpm Grub would load them. Give that a try.
Old 30th November 2006, 12:31 AM
Coolerthanyou Offline

Better idea is to make it 12 colors, that way the menu itself is more clear.
Old 9th December 2006, 07:44 PM
henshu70 Offline

GRUB Bootsplash Images Problem

Hi there,

I've got exactly the same problems with my bootsplash images as KRAZYBASTID. Let me summarise them first.

First one I downloaded as a GRUB bootsplash image from the web, it's named butte-splash-gimp.xpm.gz and it's working perfectly.

Second one I made by myself, it's actually my first GRUB bootsplash image so not so good quality but, miraculously, it's working. It's called grub_unas_sydney_sunset.xpm.gz.

Third, and every other since then, is called ubuntu_tux.xpm.gz and it behaves as all the other splash images I make - it's not working. It's not working even if I do not compress it.

Obviously, I know how to configure GRUB to display the images so the problem is clearly with the images themselves. I do not understand, however, what can be wrong since all the images have the required properties:

1. .xpm.gz file type or simply .xpm, I tried all the variations,
2. 640x480 resolution,
3. maximum 14 colors.

I would very much appreciate someone's help with this issue (and, as I can see I'm not alone in this). I'm attaching the images if anyone wanted to give it a try.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: gz butte-splash-gimp.xpm.gz (4.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: gz grub_unas_sydney_sunset.xpm.gz (26.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: gz ubuntu_tux.xpm.gz (21.7 KB, 164 views)

Tags
grub, image, splash