Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st October 2006, 07:52 AM
goldenfort Offline

how to install the source code of kernel

I want my notebook can be used on fedora core 5 with wireless. so I download source code for linux driver from the website of the vendor. Compiling the driver need source code of kernel of fc5. I download the rpm package of fc5 kernel. but when I enter the command
rpm -ivh package.rpm
. there are no error displayed . but I can not find the source code directory of kernel. where it is? or just it not be installed?
Old 21st October 2006, 07:59 AM
Mess Offline

I think you should download kernel-devel package.
The command is "yum install kernel-devel".
Old 21st October 2006, 08:03 AM
goldenfort Offline

The only way I can access internet is by wireless. Now my wireless is not ready on fc5. so can i use
yum ? I think the work to configure yum is hard for me.
Old 21st October 2006, 08:16 AM
Mess Offline

Yes yum won't work. So do uname -r and look for your kernel version. Then look for kernel-devel-{version}.rpm on internet. Copy it to your notebook and install. Then you will make and make install your drivers...
Old 21st October 2006, 04:46 PM
atari Offline

you can download it from download.fedora.redhat.com the source package is in .src.rpm format.Just install it and you will get the source in /usr/src/redhat/sources

Tags
code, install, kernel, source