Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd November 2006, 03:53 AM
cclo123 Offline

How to add printer in text-based FC6

I have a old PC (PIII-500) running FC5 in text-based server mode. In FC5 I add printer with "system-config-printer". In FC6, system-config-printer must be run in gui mode. Does anyone know to add printer (HP jetdirect) in text-based FC6?
Old 3rd November 2006, 09:50 AM
pobbz Offline

Hello.

I'm not an expert in the Dark Arts of the command line, so if I were you I'd install CUPS and the go to another computer and connect to just-installed CUPS server using a web browser. The CUPS server responds at TCP port 10000. There you can configure your printer. Of course, if you can not use another computer to connect to the CUPS server, then I do not know what you could do...
Old 3rd November 2006, 01:01 PM
gonk23 Offline

CUPS should be installed by default. You can get to the config pages by pointing a browser to TCP port 631. However, for security reasons, it only accepts connections from the local computer. 2 possible options are:

(1) Use a text-based browser (e.g. "elinks") on your local machine, and open "http://localhost:631". Follow the prompts. If you don't have elinks installed on your system, run "yum install elinks" as root.

(2) Login as root, and edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and change the line "Listen localhost:631" to "Listen 631". Save the file and exit back to the command prompt. Run the command "service cups restart" as root to restart CUPS. You should be able to use another computer connected to the same LAN to open "http://localhost:631". Follow the prompts. Don't forget to change the line in cupsd.conf back after you have configured the printer.
Old 3rd November 2006, 01:10 PM
pobbz Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk23
You can get to the config pages by pointing a browser to TCP port 631.
Of course!! I'm so sorry for all the rouble I may have caused by telling that CUPS lives at port 10000!!

Also gonk23 is right about the fact that CUPS listens only to localhost by default. I'm also sorry for not remembering to mention this!
Old 4th November 2006, 12:49 PM
cclo123 Offline

I modified cupsd.conf. I could add a printer from another PC with http://192.168.0.1:631. I could print from the FC6 server itself. I started up SMB and shared out the printer. I can browse the FC6 printer from my PC, but I can't print any thing to the FC6 printer from my PC.
I can read and write to my home directionary thru samba.

Tags
add, fc6, printer, textbased