Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th November 2006, 01:51 PM
mickeyboy Offline

Is Fedora protected??

Question???, Now that Redhat has said that it will give protection to it's users from IP, does that enclude Fedora??
Old 7th November 2006, 03:42 PM
Janl Offline

I wouldn't think so. The RH protection was added to it's support subscription, which is only available for RHEL.
Old 8th November 2006, 05:20 AM
Jman Offline

(Not a Red Hat employee.)

Do you trust that it is in Red Hat's best interest to protect the Fedora project? RHEL is derived from Fedora, and that's where the money is.

I don't expect indemnification to cover Fedora users, but I'm sure any lawsuit against them will get attention from Red Hat legal.

Probably more significant is that all of the Fedora project is verified to be open source. I don't think there's any infringing code to begin with.
Old 8th November 2006, 10:06 AM
dutch-bear Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman
(Not a Red Hat employee.)

Do you trust that it is in Red Hat's best interest to protect the Fedora project? RHEL is derived from Fedora, and that's where the money is.
Is it not so that Fedora is derived from Redhat and until FC-6 it was under supervision of Redhat?. Now the responsibility seems to have shifted. To whom I'd not know sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman
Probably more significant is that all of the Fedora project is verified to be open source. I don't think there's any infringing code to begin with.
Ah yes under Redhat it was but now it seems that it is an more independent distro, so that may change.
Old 10th November 2006, 05:42 AM
Jman Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch-bear
Is it not so that Fedora is derived from Redhat and until FC-6 it was under supervision of Redhat?. Now the responsibility seems to have shifted. To whom I'd not know sorry.

Ah yes under Redhat it was but now it seems that it is an more independent distro, so that may change.
Red Hat employees remain key contributors. The leadership has community members too though.

The project overview mentions freedom, which means that mp3 is not going in due to patent issues. This avoids the legal issues while at the same time persuing the Fedora of "infinite freedom".

From what I've read many people involved in the Fedora project, Red Hat or otherwise, see the necessity of avoiding IP battles and using free things. ogg over mp3, for example.
Old 10th November 2006, 10:41 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyboy
Question???, Now that Redhat has said that it will give protection to it's users from IP, does that enclude Fedora??
If you look at the indemnification program, it is targeted at enterprise customers and the value of it is equivalent to the subscription entitlements. See http://www.redhat.com/promo/believe/. Since Fedora is completely Free (in both sense of the word), there is a implicit commitment that we wouldnt include any patent encumbered code.

Tags
fedora, protected