Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th November 2006, 04:37 PM
tankertuff Offline

Unhappy Moving on, later Fedora.

Well, let me first say, I was dazzled by fedora at first, yum is awesome, and I like using yumex more than synaptic in Ubuntu. But.. sadly, that is basically where my love affair ends. Fedora started off badly when I noticed not even simple partitioning tools are included (cfdisk, fdisk, qtparted, ect...) , the install wasn't the problem, it's just they've been installed in any other linux distro I've used. Another problem I had was the instability, yum does tend to bog down the system with multiple instances of things, just today I had to figure out SElinux had multiple policies installed, which disables my ability to install kmod-nvidia drivers (which seemed to magically disappear overnight, no idea why, then to reappear when I reinstalled them giving me multiple instances of settings in my menu.)

The whole logical volume thing is a bummer as well, if you have a problem, you can't even use knoppix to fix it as it won't recognize the volume, without a bunch of bs.Also, the inability to easily add a RAID array after it has been configured by my controller, and now the seemingly impossible task of formatting my hard drives to where it will recognize them (dunno why, usb has been reformatted and mounted fine) has almost driven me to windoze.(I guess since I'm a nazi stormtrooper in Bush's gestapo, the move back to Microsuck should be easy). These few things, as well as random problems that seem to appear and disappear, have given me enough ammunition to finally bite the bandwidth bullet and download Suse. I'm not done with linux yet, I truly believe that it's a better OS and has way more potential due to the user support and input. Fedora just isn't for me I guess. Thanks for everyones help! Goodbye forever, lol.
Old 13th November 2006, 04:45 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Well, we hope you do find a distro that pleases you. SuSE's a fine one in many respects but Yast is bit of a pain. I'm not a fan of LVM, but you could have easily set it up as ext2 or ext3 instead, as I have. Actually, no distro is perfect for everyone and each one I've tried does have a glitch or two. The trick is to find the one that's close to your needs and work to make it perfect. As to the Nazi Stormtrooper in Bush's gestapo, everyone's got to have a job - hope you enjoy yours; beats cleaning septic tanks, I guess.

Thanks for giving FC a try and expressing your opinions. Have a good life.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 13th November 2006, 04:48 PM
techmatt Offline

You tyed it, didn't like it and moving to another Linux distro. Not good-bye, just see ya later. We may still run into each other.

Registered Linux user number 433760
Old 13th November 2006, 08:29 PM
Thetargos Online

LVM as convenient as it is, is not the panacea. I myself use an older partitionning scheme which you can always get with Anaconda using Disk Druid (the partitionning tool), just select the custom layout

Also sfdisk and fdisk are included, both live under /sbin/, just seek them out, if you just 'su' to root, you won't have access to /sbin as your path unless you expressely state so /sbin/<command> or by using 'su -', just a hint for Fedora and many other distros.

May the source be with you and may we see each other again, maybe wearing different robes.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 13th November 2006, 08:41 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

not to mention QTParted and GParted are both in the repos along with the fix to many other problems...but I understand. With me it was love at first sight (FC4) and I forgave a lot of the shortcomings. I am not nearly as tolerant of other distros. At least you had the right attitude and are not calling FC a pile of crap, merely stating your reasons why it isnt for you. I respect that. Good luck!
Old 13th November 2006, 08:45 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
tankertuff will be back .......
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

Perhaps a twelve step program should be invoked ?

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 13th November 2006, 09:24 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

sorry to see you go, hope you'll give it a try with fc7. Like was stated earlier if you try again later, maybe use go with custom partitions and not use lvm. Although with FC6 i did use lvm , and i can see both sides of the story. like everone else said it's nice to hear why you are leaving instead of just &^%$#* Fedora.
P.S. fdisk is included in a basic install, don't know why you didn't have it
Old 13th November 2006, 09:49 PM
tomcat Offline

[off-topic]Actually I never realised the benefits of LVM over traditional partition setups. [/off-topic]

Bye bye and see you again when FC7 comes out.