Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th November 2006, 03:20 AM
kainaw Offline

USB Light Stuck "On"

I have a Cruzer Mini USB. When I plug it in, Fedora auto-mounts it and turns the light on. When I unmount it, it is definately unmounted, but the light stays on. When I turn off the computer, the light still stays on. Is there some setting or command to tell the USB device to turn off its light?
Old 15th November 2006, 04:48 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

Hi Kainaw,

Hmmm. You made me curious. So I tried all my USB drives, and they all turned off when unmounted, except one! My wife's PNY 64mb USB1.1 drive stays lit until unplugged! It's obvoiusly unmounted, just stays lit. That makes me think it's just a USB1.1 personality trait. As long as you're not getting any data corruption, I'd say you don't have a problem. I think it just pulls constant power from the 5v line and lites it up. However, please post back if you start getting weird behavior or data corruption!

Dan
Old 15th November 2006, 05:18 AM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
I beleive there is a bug with the USB as reported to bugzilla...I have made some USB flash drive data transfers that have resulted in empty files, corrupted files and merged files (mp3 merged with other mp3 files)....
It seems that the usb is still copying data even after the dialogs say the copy is done....apparrently I was removing the USB stick before it had completed the transfer.

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 15th November 2006, 05:22 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

Evening Sailor!

Hmmm. That's not good. Haven't noticed it here, but I'd sure hate to get my Hank Snow mixed up with My Jimmy Buffet.

Tags
light, stuck, usb