<---- template headericclude ----->
Rather outdated
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Grimryu Guest

Rather outdated

Hi... I'm trying to get a linux server going for my own personal usage... and its a pentinum 2 with a 60 gig hdd, and 128 mb of ram... Now I have Fedora Core 6 "zod" from linuxonline.biz... and I've tried to install it a few times now, and it seems to always freeze and lock up during installing... I did however get to about 120 packages done... then something weird happened and the screen turned redish with the <tab>/<alt-tab> at the top with a bunch of red under that and white text saying several things were done, and just sat there. Not exactly sure what to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like your pretty low on ram, you might want to try a text install. But I'm no expert, just an observation. You can always install a light WM afterwards.

Grimryu Guest
    Well I've been trying to install in text, cause thats all I can try to install under.

A.Serbinski Guest
    Choose the bare minimum packages and add more later.

Grimryu Guest
    Not exactly sure how to do such, I am rather new to this all.

Grimryu Guest
    I got about... 400packages in 29% done, then I get this red screen again and its got like disabling swap... on the top line in red surrounded by blue then its got /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 in red with blue around it, the <tab> thing and then shows unmounting filesystems... and a bunch of things like /dev/pts done.... /sys done... and kinda sits there... *sighs* and at the bottom it says... You may safely reboot your system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Grimryu

You're right on the ragged edge of the minimum requirements for text mode installation. I suspect it's gonna be pretty dicey until you get a little bit more RAM.

Dan

Grimryu Guest
    Yea, well I actually know nothing about hardware, this is just one of the few boxes I have lieing around, I just dont know if I can use ram from another box, and put it in this one or not, and vice versa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh! Been there... Done that! Frankenputer!

Dan

A.Serbinski Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimryu
    Not exactly sure how to do such, I am rather new to this all.
    Some of the mirrors might still have FC1, or if you know someone, you might be able to get your hands on a copy of something older like RH8 or 9.

As for installing fewer packages, the installer ASKS you which packages to install. I think it starts with very general categories and you hit some key to expand them, allowing you to deselect undesired packages.

Of course, you have to wonder if after installation, it will even boot up with that ram. My guess - probably not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it should boot with 128, if i were you i would try a lighter distro then fedora, possible damn small linux
    As always
    Love, Life, Loyalty, Wisdom, Knowledge, And Understanding
    FC6: Common Questions answered