Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th December 2006, 11:15 PM
r1348 Offline

Dell Inspiron 1501: FC6 won't install

Hello, I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1501, and the first thing I tried was to install FC6 x86_64 of course.
But I had a bitter surprise: Anaconda doesn't recognize the hard disk. I guess it's a bug with the AHCI driver, Anaconda sits there loading it for several minutes before starting the graphical install. This happens even with some live distros, I tried like Kororaa 0.3 and Knoppix 5.0.1. Ubuntu 6.06 has grabled graphics and was unusable.
The only distro that actually installs without problems is Mandriva One 2007, I think because it has a more up-to-date kernel...
The SATA controller is an ATI SB600, the hard drive a HITACHI HTD54168.

Any known workaround for this, or I'll have to wait FC7?
Old 9th December 2006, 12:14 AM
Martz Offline

Hi,
I have just installed fc6 on an Inspiron 1501.

Try booting with the parameter: all-generic-ide

If that doesn't work try: acpi=force irqpoll

M
Old 10th December 2006, 02:43 PM
r1348 Offline

Thank you very much! Booting with all-generic-ide actually did it, what does exactly this parameter do? I see it still uses ahci and libata, but the device is known as hda and not sda...
Anyway, now I have my laptop fully working, still some problems with enabling 3d support but I didn't have much time to look at it.
For wireless I had to use ndiswrapper, but looks like bcm43xx will support this device too in the future.
Old 10th December 2006, 03:40 PM
Martz Offline

It allows IDE to grab all unknown generic IDE devices. I guess it overrides the SATA driver, which is probably the problem here. There is a slight performance hit because of this, but no biggie.

I have hardware accelerated 3D working. My laptop and notes are at work but I'll post what I did tomorrow.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:42 PM
Martz Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz
I have hardware accelerated 3D working. My laptop and notes are at work but I'll post what I did tomorrow.
This is what worked for me for 3D:
go to http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
download ati-driver-installer-8.31.5-x86.x86_64.run

from a root shell:
sh ati-driver-installer-8.31.5-x86.x86_64.run
aticonfig --initial
init 3
(log in as root)
rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
yum install xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs-32bit.x86_64
setsebool -P allow_execmod=1
ati-fglrx-config-display enable

add to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

init 5

3D a go go.
I expect that you don't actually need to do both installs (from ati and from livna),
but I couldn't get GL to work by just using one of them.

So now I have
Working: graphics card, sound, DVD, wireless
Not working: card reader.
Old 16th December 2006, 12:45 AM
r1348 Offline

Well, I followed your advices and I'm half-way I think.
I use the ati driver from freshrpms.net, yes I'm a lazy ass and I find dkms very comfortable.
Anyway, this package doesn't seem to modify xorg.conf so I've to do it manually. Added fglrx as default driver and disabled Composite, I have direct rendering enabled ad glxinfo shows. But glxgears gived me around 1600fps, and simple openGL games like ppracer are sluggish and full of artifacts.
I noticed two strange things: glxinfo still gives as server GLX the SGI one. Is this normal in ATI drivers? This is my first ATI card, I'm used to Nvidia that substitutes even the server GLX with its own...
Code:
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, 
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_OML_swap_method, 
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe, 
    GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, 
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_ARB_multisample, 
    GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float, GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, 
    GLX_ARB_multisample
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON XPRESS Series Generic
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6234 (8.32.5)
Also, the ATI Control utilty reports just 128Mb of video RAM, while Dell declares 256Mb. Ah, OEM hardware...

Can you please pos your full xorg.conf, so I may see if I'm missing something?
Old 5th February 2007, 04:58 PM
oneders Offline

Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS4

I tried installing FC6 as well as RHEL AS 4 on my new Dell 1501 inspiron, AMD Turion (x86 64).
I installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 4 on Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook. Initially it didint recognize my SATA HDD. I had to use parameter all-generic-ide as was mentioned in one of the posts. After that everything went perfectly fine during the installation until the reboot time came. It starts rebooting just fine, seems to find the kernel and begin loading. Then messages appear:

Decompressing Linux done
Booting the kernel.
audit (1170262029.359.0): initialized
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting.

File Descriptor 3 left open
Reading all physical volumes

/dev/hda: open failed : no medium found
No volume groups found

No volume groups found

No volume groups found

Mount error 6 mounting ext3
Mount error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed :22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
kernel panic - not syncing : attempted to kill init!

Please let me know how to get the system to boot with Red hat Enterprise Linux AS 4.
I would really appreciate that.
Thanx
Shantanu
Old 6th February 2007, 12:08 AM
r1348 Offline

You have to add the all-generic-ide also in your boot command line, in /boot/grub/grub.conf

Anyway, the log of the 2.6.20 kernel claims to have solved this issue, now I'm curious to see how it will react finding some sata disks named as /dev/hdX on my system...
Old 6th February 2007, 02:42 AM
oneders Offline

I tried this..When I booted the system with Linux , I passed all-generic-ide at the grub..It did work initially and continued installation until 20% and got hung when it was configuring network services...
How do I access /boot/grub//grub.conf during the Linux bootup so that I can add all-generic-ide in it..
Appreciate Ur help....
Thanx
Old 6th February 2007, 01:13 PM
r1348 Offline

You cannot access it during boot, but adding all-generic-ide to grub makes exactly the same job, even if temporarily. Adding it to /boot/grub/grub.conf is just a definitive way.
Now, the fact that your boot process hangs when configuring the network services means that your system already found the boot partition, so here you've a different issue.
Did you already upgraded all the packages to the latest versions? Did you update the bios? Which version?
Old 6th February 2007, 05:08 PM
oneders Offline

Hi
Thanks for ur help...
As Linux was getting stuck at configuring netwrork services so today I disabled my Network settings in BIOS and then tried to repeat all the steps.
Everything went fine and I was finally able to get RHEL AS 4 running on my Dell 1501 notebook.
After I logeed in Linux as root, I made the chanegs to the grub.conf file and now the system is booting fine with Linux.
My screen resolution is 600x800. So I guess I need to install my video card drivers as well as my NIC drivers for Linux so that I can connect to the network.
Please suggest if you can help furhter.
Thanx for Ur help again.

Shantanu
Old 6th February 2007, 05:41 PM
r1348 Offline

I can't be very useful about RHEL4 since I use just FC6...
With FC6 the network works out of the box, using the b44 driver, video card is recognised and uses the radeon driver, although no 3d unless you want to use the proprietary driver, anyway resolution is rightly set at 1280x800. Wireless card is not recognised by the bcm43xx driver, I had to use ndiswrapper.
RHEL4 may definitely be too outdated for such new hardware...

Anyway, I'm writing an installation guide for FC6 that I'll soon submit to linux-laptop.net, I'll make you know when it's ready

Last edited by r1348; 6th February 2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 6th February 2007, 10:29 PM
oneders Offline

Hi
I successfully loaded FC6 on my VMWare and its working perfectly fine..I can browse the internet and the screen resolution is good too....
But I tired to install FC6 on my HDD before I installed RHEL AS4 and I was having the same problem as I had with RHEL AS$ (HDD not found). I evern tried using the same parameter : all-generic-ide with FC6....Although I dont remember exactly what happened...
Do U think if I use the parameters which I used with RHEL AS4, with FC6, will I be able to install FC6 without any glitch....
I am tempted now to install FC6 afresh on my system....
And thanx again....yeah I will wait when U come out with Ur installation guide....
Shantanu
Old 9th February 2007, 03:00 AM
oneders Offline

Wireless Card in FC6

Hi
I successfully loaded FC6 on my Dell Inspiron 1501.
I have two Qs.
How do I access Wireless thru FC6.
And I noticed that in FC6, after peforming few tasks, like openning few folders, files, I am unable to access System and other Drop Down Menu options on top left of the screen.
I appears as if it is hung..Everything works fine, I can do everything other than those Drop Down Menus thus I am unable to shutdown through the drop down menu.
I hope I made it clear. Do U have any suggestions or any fix for this.

Thanks
Shantanu
Old 9th February 2007, 10:01 PM
r1348 Offline

Hello, I finished writing my installation guide, among the other things it covers wireless networking, you can read it here: http://web.tiscali.it/belial/Dell_15...ion_guide.html.

I don't know what's wrong about your system slowdown, everything works fine here... Did you update all your software through yum? Try to run top when experiencing it, to see if there's some task abusing CPU and/or RAM.

Tags
1501, dell, fc6, inspiron, install