Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Suggestions & Feedback
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Suggestions & Feedback Have suggestions, feedback or just plain questions regarding FedoraForum.org? Post them here. (We reserve the right to poke fun at you or just ignore them).

Old 11th December 2006, 10:54 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

also under java it would be nice how to make it the default jre besides just the plugin so users can use azureus limewire etc. also it should be updated for 1.6.0 speaking of which i should do that in my how-to
Old 11th December 2006, 11:04 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickisgod1
on jims tutorail for the anaconda .i586 bug
he says
rpm -q --qf='%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n' kernel
should come up empty if you sont have the .i586 problem.
can anyone confirm this as i removed the fc kernel packages
it seems like it should return the i686 kernel
If I replace the \n with \i586, I get a return of
Code:
kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.i686i586kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.i686i586kernel-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5.i686i586
If I do it without replacing \n I get
Code:
kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.i686
kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.i686
kernel-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5.i686
I take it this means fc5 uses a generic 586/686 kernel.
Don't know if this applies to fc6 with seperate 586/686

On the other hand, I guess replacing the \n is not relevant. with i686 i686i586 just changes toi686i686.

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted

Last edited by u-noneinc-s; 11th December 2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11th December 2006, 11:11 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

you are replacing the newline with the letter i586
Old 11th December 2006, 11:34 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

I guess I should start learning some scripting. Just too lazy in my moderate # of years
I did edit the post to say "non-relevant", but the explanation is much (and always) appreciated.

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 11th December 2006, 11:59 PM
jim Offline
Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds

I would like to see a general guide placed here as a wiki (edwi Chime in here) or getting the blessing from the fedoraproject to have them host the wiki. To me the wiki format is the easiest to maintain, clean looking, loads much faster than a database driven site. If anyone has content i'll post it to my wiki. As for the yum stuff that is basically from the man page, But easier to read than from the terminal plus i threw in some examples...
Registered Linux User: #376813
Western NY
My linux site
Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?

Last edited by jim; 12th December 2006 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Subscribed to thread
Old 12th December 2006, 01:44 AM
jim Offline

updated the java to include java 1.6.0 & limewire
Western NY
My linux site
Smolt Profile

Old 12th December 2006, 05:58 AM
nick.stumpos Offline

how bout an adobe acroreader jim, personally i like it alot better than whatever is the fedora default these days. alos, Ive never tried otherwise, but i believe the flash 9 is an upgrade, ie you need to have flash 7 installed first. you might want to mention this, or correct me if im wrong. also im thinking of compiling a list and explanation of various useful comman line programs. Ill let you know when im done if you would like to read over it and possibly add it to your wiki. Also i think a link to a main wiki from this site that is very bold and says go here first, wouldbe very beneficial, i like the idea
Old 12th December 2006, 06:01 AM
nick.stumpos Offline

also maybe at the top, a warning about mixing repos, in bold shiny neon letters, and maybe a list of critical bug fixes like the i586 bug
Old 12th December 2006, 01:02 PM
dasy2k1 Offline

as a fedora newbie who used suse in the past so isnt totally clueless on what to do with linux

the big stumbeling block for me was the inabilaty to get madwifi working.
i downloaded it and compiled it but when i try riunning network manager it goes crazy!

and why isnt madwifi in the core!
if i was a newbie to linux i woud expect the wifi drivers for my off teh shelf pci card wifi (atheros chip)
to be autodetected on install and ask me for the WPA key at the same point in the install as you set up eth0

Knoppix live CD managed to detect my card just fine so why cant fedora add it to the deafault install?

my favoirite media players are amorak and kaffenne thiough i often use codine for previewing

currnetly im using VLC a lot on fedora and teh original Xine though i find the xine interface a little hard to get used to as the buttions are not labeled
Old 12th December 2006, 07:42 PM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasy2k1
and why isnt madwifi in the core!
if i was a newbie to linux i woud expect the wifi drivers for my off teh shelf pci card wifi (atheros chip)
to be autodetected on install and ask me for the WPA key at the same point in the install as you set up eth0
For the same reason that the Nvidia and ATI driver's aren't included, the same reason that mp3 and DVD support isn't included.

But you can be sure someone already figured it out and will make your life easy, just have to look:

http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/s...d.php?t=126266

I'm sure there's a bunch of others but this one mentions getting it to work with Network Manager.
Old 13th December 2006, 12:52 PM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

As for the repository debate: Livna.org is the only community repository for freeworld that is a multi-person project with a clear way for the community to join and help. It mirrors the Fedora Extras build system and quality control messures. Fedora-extras contributors should easily be able to add packages to livna.org if their packages can't be included in Fedora. These facts matter a great deal, as I see it, they matter more than the currently available packages from the repositories. Livna.org is the repository to use. I can't find a single good argument to use something else.
Old 13th December 2006, 01:01 PM
jim Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickisgod1
how bout an adobe acroreader jim, personally i like it alot better than whatever is the fedora default these days. alos, Ive never tried otherwise, but i believe the flash 9 is an upgrade, ie you need to have flash 7 installed first. you might want to mention this, or correct me if im wrong. also im thinking of compiling a list and explanation of various useful comman line programs. Ill let you know when im done if you would like to read over it and possibly add it to your wiki. Also i think a link to a main wiki from this site that is very bold and says go here first, wouldbe very beneficial, i like the idea
I installed flash 9 with out flash7 and haven't had a issue yet I can put something together for adobe as well
Western NY
My linux site
Smolt Profile

Old 14th January 2007, 05:20 AM
nick.stumpos Offline

just wanted to bring this back, we were on to something here, and it kinda died, maybe we should set up an irc channel, and have a meeting of the most active people here and get our solutions in place, especially with F7,(feels wierd without the C) comming soon
Old 18th January 2007, 12:31 AM
kevin tough Offline

Thumbs up From a relative newbie

Linux operating systems will be looked at with more interest because of Vista and its restricitions by some people, hopefully many. Linux has a reputation of being difficult to install and of not being compatible with various media types. Its strong points are howwever not known to most of the persons that have had Microsoft shoved at them.

I would love to see the people that support this forum make a united effort to give us beginners a easy and quick start towards installing and configuring a pc that will do most of what a Redmond machine *windows" will do. Simple little hints like: "When starting out use only one "repository" "The default video player for Fedora is "name" and it will play these formats" etc. I hope to be able to help contribute in the near future, to helping support the use of linux at work and play. I would like to be involved in a distro where I could say, "Just install it and if you have any basic questions look here for some quick answers". Ubuntu 6.10 was just voted by Linux New Media to be the "Most User-friendly Linux Distro". Where is Stan?

I have 3, soon to be 4 distros installed on my computer. I find myself returning to Fedora when I really want to work. I hope the distro thing will get better. I hope the efforts put forth by the great people on this forum can be united and that next year perhaps Fedora can win a "Most User-friendly Linux Distro" award.

Namaste,

Kevin Tough
Old 18th January 2007, 09:52 AM
PeTzZz Offline
Retired Community Manager

Check the Fedora Unity Project and FedoraSolved.Org. The Fedora Unity Project should be what will unify the effort.

Last edited by PeTzZz; 18th January 2007 at 02:18 PM.