Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th December 2006, 11:08 PM
Enigma 2100 Offline

Help starting BOINC (SETI@home)

I have BOINC seti@home. I have it installed and can run it by opening the file browser right clicking the boinc_client and click open. I can run boinc manager the same way and it works fine. I want to have it start automatically. I am using Fedora 6. I added this line "/home/enigma/BOINC/boinc_client" to the etc/rc.local file and the computer locked up on reboot and I had to do interactive startup to edit the file and remove the line.

One other thing, I can't start boinc_client or boinc manager from a terminal either as root or user. Anyone have any ideas how to sort it out?

Enigma
Old 13th December 2006, 07:03 PM
cmsps Offline

This starts my BOINC stuff going whenever the machine is turned on:

Code:
nice -n 20 sudo -u cmsps \
           /installs/bbcclimate/run_client >> /home/cmsps/bbcclimate.log 2>&1 &
Old 13th December 2006, 07:51 PM
Enigma 2100 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsps
This starts my BOINC stuff going whenever the machine is turned on:

Code:
nice -n 20 sudo -u cmsps \
           /installs/bbcclimate/run_client >> /home/cmsps/bbcclimate.log 2>&1 &
Thanks but it doesn't work for me. I edited it and put it in my rc.local file but it does nothing. I tried putting it on two lines like yours here and all on one line in case there was line wrapping.

Where have you got it, what file have you got it in?

EDIT
I just seen in the created boinc.log it says "sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo"

What are sudo and tty.

Last edited by Enigma 2100; 13th December 2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 13th December 2006, 08:09 PM
cmsps Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma 2100
Thanks but it doesn't work for me. I edited it and put it in my rc.local file but it does nothing. I tried putting it on two lines like yours here and all on one line in case there was line wrapping.

Where have you got it, what file have you got it in?

EDIT
I just seen in the created boinc.log it says "sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo"

What are sudo and tty.
I have it in my /etc/rc.local.

nice runs tasks at low prority.

sudo run a command as another user. In this case, me (cmsps)

tty here means standard output.

Dunno what to suggest now.

BTW: I'm not running SETI but the BBC climate change model. They should be the same if you allow for different file names.
Old 13th December 2006, 08:50 PM
Enigma 2100 Offline

Is the command on one line or on two?

I tried:
nice -n 20 /home/enigma/BOINC/boinc_client >> /home/enigma/BOINC/boinc.log 2>&1 &

and

nice -n 20 sudo -u enigma \
/home/enigma/BOINC/boinc_client >> /home/enigma/BOINC/boinc.log 2>&1 &

I also tried putting it on one line.
Old 13th December 2006, 09:15 PM
cmsps Offline

Quote:
Is the command on one line or on two?

I tried:
nice -n 20 /home/enigma/BOINC/boinc_client >> /home/enigma/BOINC/boinc.log 2>&1 &

and

nice -n 20 sudo -u enigma \
/home/enigma/BOINC/boinc_client >> /home/enigma/BOINC/boinc.log 2>&1 &

I also tried putting it on one line.
It doesn't matter if it's one line or two, so long as the backslash is the very last character on its line, i.e. it is followed by a newline and not a space. I put it on two lines simply because I have an aversion to long lines.

Without the sudo, the command would run as root.

How do you know it didn't work this time? Did you still get error messages? Or, did you do a ps -ef and not see boinc_client?
Old 13th December 2006, 09:25 PM
cmsps Offline

Quote:
I can't start boinc_client or boinc manager from a terminal either as root or user. Anyone have any ideas how to sort it out?

Enigma
I've only just noticed this bit. If you can't run it from the command line, putting the command in /etc/rc.local won't work either.

I've only ever started it from the command line.

Have you tried the BOINC or SETI forums?
Old 13th December 2006, 10:14 PM
Enigma 2100 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsps
It doesn't matter if it's one line or two, so long as the backslash is the very last character on its line, i.e. it is followed by a newline and not a space. I put it on two lines simply because I have an aversion to long lines.

Without the sudo, the command would run as root.

How do you know it didn't work this time? Did you still get error messages? Or, did you do a ps -ef and not see boinc_client?
I opened system monitor and looked at the processes. I managed to get it running without sudo but it wasn't right. It opened up new files in other places and when I opened boinc manager it would lock onto the boinc client.

I haven't tried the seti/boinc forums yet as I thought I'd get more help from the linux community.
Old 21st February 2007, 08:09 PM
Studebaker Hawk Offline

Quote:
I opened system monitor and looked at the processes. I managed to get it running without sudo but it wasn't right. It opened up new files in other places and when I opened boinc manager it would lock onto the boinc client.

I haven't tried the seti/boinc forums yet as I thought I'd get more help from the linux community.
The advice given in this forum so far applies to the BBC Climate Experiment version of BOINC. That's a special version of BOINC and it does not surprise me advice given so far does not work for Enigma who is running the standard BOINC.

Try this article for a method known to work on Fedora Core 5. Note it does NOT start BOINC as a daemon. It simply starts BOINC automatifcally whenever you log in.

Tags
boinc, seti@home, starting