Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd December 2006, 01:33 PM
Caracal Offline

Force a refresh rate/res with nvidia X Server? (1st post!)

I've recently installed Fedora 6, the install went fine, no problems whatsoever. The first thing i did, was test and configure my resolution & refresh rate (I've previously had problems in Ubuntu, so this was the FIRST thing i wanted to test!).

My monitor wasn't auto-detected, so i selected it from the CRT list (Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 502). My GFX card was auto-detected (nVidia GeForce3 Ti 200).

After changing my monitor and restarting X, everything was fine, i could run at my preferred res (1280x1024@85Hz).

Then i decided to install the nvidia drivers (using the livna.org repository). The install went fine, but after i rebooted, i noticed that my GFX card shows up as 'unknown' in the screen setup screen (monitor hasn't changed).

If i go into the nvidia X Server settings screen, it shows that it has detected my GFX correctly (my monitor appears just as 'Iiyama') but it wont let me pick any kind of decent refresh rate... from every resolution, i can only select 50 or 60Hz :/

I've tried selecting the 'nv' driver in system settings, but then obviously i cant access any settings in the "nvidia X Server settings" screen, but at the same time, i still can't change to a decent refresh rate in the "screen resolution" screen!

I had loads of problems with this in Ubuntu... i was endlessly editing my xorg.conf, but I'm getting further in Fedora... i just need to somehow figure out how to force (?) the nvidia drivers to let me use the resolution i want!

Grateful for any help, thanks!

(oh and I've read this but i don't think it really relates to my situation.)

Tags
1st, force, nvidia, post, rate or res, refresh, server