Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th December 2006, 06:45 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Why does my dvd drive tray close so quickly after eject

(FC6, Gnome desktop)

When I eject my dvd drive either from a terminal command 'eject' or pressing the eject button it closes again very quickly before I can get the disc out? (this even happens if I unmount the drive first! - although not all the time, for some bizarre reason)

How do I 'fix' this behaviour?
Old 29th December 2006, 06:55 PM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

That is a very strange behavior. I don´t know how to solve it but I suggest you post more details (DVD drive model for example) so the more 'advanced' posters here can answer you.
Old 29th December 2006, 07:21 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

it is not the most well-known drive, a Btc Dvdrw Ide1008.

The problem is infuriating, I keep getting my cds/dvds caught in the tray half closed
Old 29th December 2006, 07:46 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

I don't have an answer either, but it used to happen to me ALL THE TIME on FC3, and continued for a while after upgrading to FC5. Then it just quit. Very strange. I often had to restart to be able to get the CDs out. (I could usually get them out but if I slipped I was afraid I'd get a jam or ruin a CD).
Operates as normal now.

Just a thought...Are you running Gnome 0r KDE, and if KDE are you using gdm or kdm? I have always used kde, but it was generally in conjunction with gdm. It was some time after upgrading to FC5 that I discovered how to get kdm as the manager, and it was sometime after upgrading to FC5 that the problem quit. May just be a coincidence or it may have something to do with it.

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 29th December 2006, 08:04 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

I'm running Gnome.

I didn't have the problem in FC5, can't remember with FC4,FC3.

Just wondered if there was a simple solution that I'm missing, can't find much by searching here or googling more widely.

Ah well, guess I just have to be really speedy flicking those discs out
Old 29th December 2006, 08:27 PM
rappermas Offline

It used to happen to me too, but it has stopped recently. Mind you, I tried it in XP and the same thing happened, so sometimes it can have to do with the drive. I hate that drive and I barely used it anymore. It's so LOUD! When I play a DVD, it's all like BRRMRMRMRMMRMRMRMRMRMRM.

VALOR:
HP Pavilion, Intel Pentium IV 3.2 GHz HT, 1 GB Corsair, nVIDIA Quadro FX 1100 (128 MB), SB Live!, HP 16X DVD-Writer 400i, 16X DVD-ROM

HPPAV:
HP Pavilion 8766C, Intel Pentium III 900 MHz, 640 MB PC-100 SDRAM (3 DIMMs), nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 (256 MB), ESS Maestro 2E, HP CD-Writer Plus (CD-RW 4X), Hitachi 8X DVD-ROM
Old 29th December 2006, 08:50 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
You may want to see if there is a firmware update for your drive ?
A good place to start is here: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Firmware/Home.aspx

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 29th December 2006, 09:04 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

I think there is newer firmware available, however, apart from this behaviour I'm pretty happy with the drive, seems pretty quiet (to me at least), reads fast & writes at 8x speed on verbatim dvd-r discs. Also, I once screwed a cd-rewriter with a firmware update so this will be a last option only (before buying a new drive). Thanks for the link though.
Old 30th December 2006, 02:22 AM
sideways Offline
Retired User

wow

I just applied the latest FC6 autofs update earlier today and this problem now seems to have gone away!

Synchronicity? I dunno, but that is pretty weird, since I've been meaning to post for months.
Old 30th December 2006, 03:44 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

aargh!

spoke too soon, I think it was all that red wine last night blurring my judgement :hic:

ah well, probably time for a dual-layer 16x blueray/hd-dvd/holographic disc compliant upgrade anyway.
Old 30th December 2006, 04:36 PM
parish Offline

Sounds like a polling function gone haywire. You could try disabling the programs/extensions that poll the cd to check for newly inserted media and see if the behavior persists.

Daniel
Old 30th December 2006, 05:00 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

yeah, I was wondering if I have some daemon running which keeps wanting to check the dvd drive.

I'll try googling around, thanks for the tip.

I think I can borrow a samsung dvd drive from work temporarily anyway, and will probbaly upgrade the drive next year (but not to holographic disc capability, though maybe I should wait ... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11..._holo_storage/ (they've got 1 day left))

Tags
close, drive, dvd, eject, quickly, tray