Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st April 2004, 03:24 PM
mekon Offline

Booting up new kernel release when booting from floppyI

I have a triple install on a Gateway 500, ME on HDD1,MDK9.2 on HDD2,and Fedora Core1 on HDD3 running off an IDE-ATA133 PCI adaptor card. MDK9.2 dual boots with ME with LiLo in the MBR of ME. I installed Fedora on HDD3 with the power off of HDD2 with MDK9.2 as I had problems with the swap partitions. I elected to Boot from floppy so I could access all 3 OSs and it all works ok. But now after Dling 2 kernel updates 2134 & 2179 and beeing told I need to boot the new kernel to try it out, I cant find out how to get access to the new kernels. Have I sort of painted myself into a corner by electing to boot Fedora from floppy or is there some sort of workaround where I can make a new Boot floppy which will boot one of the newer kernels.Help would be appreciated. Mekon
Old 22nd April 2004, 02:31 AM
Jman Offline

So this is floppy is the one you created at the end of the Fedora install?

Perhaps you can make your lilo boot Fedora. Add something like this to lilo.conf:
Code:
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/hdc1
label = Fedora
initrd = /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.img
This assumes the root partition is the first on the third drive and the latest kernel.

If you need a list of partitions running
Code:
fdisk -l
should do it.
Old 22nd April 2004, 03:08 AM
Lordrip1 Offline

ohhh

I am not using the boot the disk to load but I did make one in just in case , but what would be the reason the fdisk -1 comand would not work?
Old 22nd April 2004, 11:47 PM
Jman Offline

The command is actually
Code:
/sbin/fdisk -l
and it requires root access to read the devices. (root also has /sbin on it's path.)

And also, that's a lower case L for "list", not a one.
Old 23rd April 2004, 11:50 AM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

To make bootdisk, use the mkbootdisk command and specify kernel version to use.
Old 30th April 2004, 11:43 PM
mekon Offline

thanks Jman . Im a bit of a newbie to computers. Like last july . I encouraged my son into an IT course and have got very interested myself, now particularly with Linux. I had a lot of probs getting the triple install on the Gateway machine and dont particularly want to poke about in LiLO at the mo. foolish in Norway suggests using (mkbootdisk) but I'm not very good at the CLI at the mo, Bill's fault with point and click Windows, he's taken all the important skills away, that would have been learnt using DOS. Any chance of giving me the syntax for using (mkbootdisc). Mekon.

Tags
booting, floppyi, kernel, release