Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st January 2007, 03:55 AM
lancedance Offline

[root@localhost scim-chinese-0.4.2]# ./configure

when I do the above, then evil comes
checking for scim >= 0.99.8... Package scim was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `scim.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'scim' found
configure: error: Library requirements (scim >= 0.99.8) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

how to deal with this issue?
thanks
Old 21st January 2007, 04:10 AM
Wayne

What are you trying to do? Install Chinese language support to a non Chinese (English) system?

If so, open Add/Remove Software and selected 'Languages' then put a checkmark in the Chinese box and install.

After installation open a user Terminal and type (or copy and paste)

mkdir ~/.xinput.d <enter>

ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim ~/.xinput.d/default <enter>

Logout and back in and you should have Chinese support.

If I've totally misunderstood your problem then ignore what I've written.

Wayne

Last edited by rondonjin; 21st January 2007 at 04:12 AM.
Old 21st January 2007, 04:15 AM
lancedance Offline

thanks
but I just want to install a chinese input method in my FC6, now I already have chinese support, but just can't input chinese.
Old 21st January 2007, 04:20 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancedance
thanks
but I just want to install a chinese input method in my FC6, now I already have chinese support, but just can't input chinese.
But if you installed Chinese language support as I explained it already installed SCIM as well as Chinese fonts. You just need to tell the system to use it as I pointed out with those two commands. Once you do as I said you will find a 'keyboard' icon on your Panel which will allow you to switch between English and Chinese (In my case it's English and Japanese)

Wayne
Old 21st January 2007, 04:26 AM
lancedance Offline

ok, thank you very much.
but the topic is why the following came out? and how to deal with it
checking for scim >= 0.99.8... Package scim was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `scim.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'scim' found
configure: error: Library requirements (scim >= 0.99.8) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
Old 21st January 2007, 04:32 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancedance
ok, thank you very much.
but the topic is why the following came out? and how to deal with it
If you want to compile SCIM yourself and install it then go for it but you're wasting your time because everything you need to use Chinese is already part of Fedora and all you have to do is use the installation tools provided.

If you just want it to work then follow the instructions I gave. It's very simple and requires no compiling of anything.

As for me, I'm out of this thread. Bye.

Wayne
Old 21st January 2007, 04:38 AM
lancedance Offline

that problem was historied after i yum -y install scim*

Tags
or configure, root@localhost, scimchinese#