Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd January 2007, 01:30 AM
satimis Offline

motherboard supporting without display at boot

Hi folks,

Are there motherboards which can boot with and without monitor/display. I will use it as server. I will remote install the server via a workstation. Therefore I don't read the monitor/display of the server.

TIA

B.R.
satimis
Old 28th January 2007, 10:49 AM
JordanN Offline

All of them should. Most linux servers are run this way. Usually, after the initiial setup, administration is handled via Secure Shell (SSH) or Virtual Network Computing (VNC).

The one thing to check is the "Halt on" parameter in your BIOS settings. The correct setting should be similar to "Halt on... ALL BUT KEYBOARD". It's kind of embarrassing to have to figure out after hours of head-scratching that the expensive server refused to boot because no keyboard was hooked up.
Old 28th January 2007, 11:23 AM
satimis Offline

Hi greenlead,

Tks for your information.

Quote:
The one thing to check is the "Halt on" parameter in your BIOS settings. The correct setting should be similar to "Halt on...
I have components for the new server ready and will build the server later. I'll check the BIOS of ASUS M2N-E, the motherboard, to see what is the correct term. Tks.

Quote:
ALL BUT KEYBOARD". It's kind of embarrassing to have to figure out after hours of head-scratching that the expensive server refused to boot because no keyboard was hooked up.
On FreeBSD headless installation can do it without monitor and keyboard. I don't know how about Linux.

B.R.
satimis
Old 28th January 2007, 11:34 AM
JordanN Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by satimis
On FreeBSD headless installation can do it without monitor and keyboard. I don't know how about Linux.
Every OS should be able to do this.

Tags
boot, display, motherboard, supporting