Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th February 2007, 12:37 AM
chejose Offline

Real audio and Real Player

There is a FM station that I like to listen to when I am working. It has three choices of "systems" to use: MS Media Player, Real audio or a program for windows to download.
When I select either of the first two, I get the box that says "Open with" and a list of files. I, or probably any fairly new user of Fedora, would have no idea what to do then.
Windows, in the same situation, would offer a list of programs to select... in that case it is easy.
Is there a way to know what file to pick to run the program that is needed? That is, a way a not too technical person could handle?
If there is no "easy" way to get around this, then I would submit that it is a "FutureFeature" for Fedora.
Anyway, I submit this for comments, complaints or help.
Thanks
Old 5th February 2007, 12:53 AM
Wayne

The application name you're looking for, if I understand your question correctly is:

realplay

Just enter that into the box and RealPlayer (If you have it installed) will start up.

Edit: If you haven't got it installed then see here:

http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/fc6notes.html#Real

Wayne

Last edited by rondonjin; 5th February 2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 5th February 2007, 01:08 AM
chejose Offline

Thanks, but the problem is that the response of Fedora is not a box to put a program name into, but a list of files to select. It is an "Open with" box that shows a file list, not programs. Nor does it give a space to put a program name into. The default is is of .xxx files.
Old 5th February 2007, 01:10 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chejose
Thanks, but the problem is that the response of Fedora is not a box to put a program name into, but a list of files to select. It is an "Open with" box that shows a file list, not programs. Nor does it give a space to put a program name into. The default is is of .xxx files.
How is that a problem? Is there also a list of directories? If so, how hard is it to navigate to:

/usr/bin/realplay

Wayne
Old 5th February 2007, 01:17 AM
chejose Offline

Well, good. The problem is that someone new to linux would have no idea what and where to look for.
But I did it, and the response was the "Dowwnload" box saying that rd had been downloaded. It did not open the player.
I admire you guys who can find your way around Fedora easily, but for one who starts it can be frustrating.
The site is this one:

http://www.king.org/listen/index.aspx

Does it work for you?
Old 5th February 2007, 01:24 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Well, good. The problem is that someone new to linux would have no idea what and where to look for.
But I did it, and the response was the "Dowwnload" box saying that rd had been downloaded. It did not open the player.
I admire you guys who can find your way around Fedora easily, but for one who starts it can be frustrating.
The site is this one:

Does it work for you?
OK. Usually, the first place you should look for user executable files is /usr/bin.

Second, When I click on it I can choose RealPlayer but it doesn't play, it keeps opening another page asking for a donation, which they say just above the links.

/Quote:
We also now offer a KING FM at king.org Super Hi-FI RadioPass stream! For a small subscription fee, you can listen to our music in a super high fidelity format.
/Unquote

Third. It works if you click on the first link (Windows Media Player) if you have the mplayer-plugin:

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/mplayer...1.fc5.i386.rpm

Wayne

Last edited by rondonjin; 5th February 2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 5th February 2007, 01:33 AM
chejose Offline

Many thanks, Wayne. But I am afraid that it is pretty late here, and I will have to shut down for the night. I will try things out tomorrow, and report.
Old 5th February 2007, 12:24 PM
chejose Offline

Well, Wayne, I am about ready to give this one up as not worth the effort. I downloaded the file you indicated, but Fedora said that a newer version was already installed and would not install it.
When I do check the MS media box, what opens is "Totem", but Totem opens a box saying that it is not able to play it.
I am sticking with Fedora, but I must admit that Windows is an awfull lot easier!!
Again, thanks for trying!
José
Old 5th February 2007, 12:32 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Well, Wayne, I am about ready to give this one up as not worth the effort. I downloaded the file you indicated, but Fedora said that a newer version was already installed and would not install it.
When I do check the MS media box, what opens is "Totem", but Totem opens a box saying that it is not able to play it.
I am sticking with Fedora, but I must admit that Windows is an awfull lot easier!!
Again, thanks for trying!
José
try mozplugger

su -
yum install mozplugger
Old 5th February 2007, 12:45 PM
chejose Offline

Leigh to the rescue again!
OK, I did the install routine for mozplugger. After a list of activity it came to "Parsing package install arguments" and then "Nothing to do". Whether mozplugger was already there or it installed it, in either case "locate" says it is there.
But I am still where I was. If I try to open with the MS player option, Totem loads and says it cannot do it. If I try the Real player option, it opens the download box saying that "rd" was downloaded.
Happily this is not an esential function, yet it is frustrating that such a simple thing can be so stubborn!!
Thanks, Leigh
Old 5th February 2007, 01:07 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
The site is this one:

Does it work for you?
This link didn't play for me under realplayer/mplayer plugin but worked fine when I selected windows media player/mplayer plugin instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.png
Views:	122
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	11371  
Old 5th February 2007, 01:35 PM
chejose Offline

OK... I do the same. Select the Windows Media Player, when asked what program should run it, I go to /usr/bin and the mplayer choice.
The result is a "download" box saying that KingFM.asx had been downloaded.
??
Old 5th February 2007, 01:41 PM
leigh123linux

Ok can you type this in your browser address bar

Code:
about:plugins
and post the output
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2.png
Views:	140
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	11372  
Old 5th February 2007, 02:11 PM
chejose Offline

This is almost getting funny... but not quite.
when I tried that I got an answer that "command not found" and when I asked "man about" it said that there is no entry for "about". I tried it with no spaces, with space on either side of the :, but always the same.
Old 5th February 2007, 02:25 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
This is almost getting funny... but not quite.
when I tried that I got an answer that "command not found" and when I asked "man about" it said that there is no entry for "about". I tried it with no spaces, with space on either side of the :, but always the same.
Copy and paste into your firefox browser address bar

Code:
about:plugins

Tags
audio, player, real