Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th February 2007, 02:01 AM
n7yg Offline

Lightbulb Move a Linux drive from drive 1 to drive 0

I currently have FC6 installed on drive 1 (hdb) and Win XP on drive 0 (hda). GRUB is installed on the boot partition of hdb and I am booting linux via the NTLoader.

What do I have to do to move this linux drive to drive 0 when I removed the Winders drive to another machine.

Will this boot without any modification or will I need to use rescue and monkey with the boot loder and GRUB

Thanks
Old 5th February 2007, 02:19 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
(moved to Installation)

Welcome to the Forum!

If I understand you correctly, you've already got Grub installed on hdb not on the mbr. Since you'll be removing the existing mbr, you may be able to do this:

1. Boot off the 1st Fedora CD or use the Fedora Rescue CD
2. At the boot prompt type 'linux rescue'
3. The rescue mode will find the fedora installation
4. Type 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' (without quotes)
5. Type 'grub-install /dev/hda' (to install Grub to the MBR of the 1st HD - now the only drive)
6. Restart and you should get the boot menu

When the boot does occur, grub may still be thinking '(hd1,0)' rather than '(hd0,0)'. If that's the case, you can stop the boot at the menu and then use the 'e' (edit) to make that correction and see if it boots properly. If so, you'll have to use gedit to change the /boot/grub/grub.conf to make the change permanent.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 5th February 2007, 02:26 AM
n7yg Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
(moved to Installation)

Welcome to the Forum!

If I understand you correctly, you've already got Grub installed on hdb not on the mbr. Since you'll be removing the existing mbr, you may be able to do this:

1. Boot off the 1st Fedora CD or use the Fedora Rescue CD
2. At the boot prompt type 'linux rescue'
3. The rescue mode will find the fedora installation
4. Type 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' (without quotes)
5. Type 'grub-install /dev/hda' (to install Grub to the MBR of the 1st HD - now the only drive)
6. Restart and you should get the boot menu

When the boot does occur, grub may still be thinking '(hd1,0)' rather than '(hd0,0)'. If that's the case, you can stop the boot at the menu and then use the 'e' (edit) to make that correction and see if it boots properly. If so, you'll have to use gedit to change the /boot/grub/grub.conf to make the change permanent.
Bob, Thanks. This is what I was leaning to, but was not sure. I will probably get this done on Monday or tuesday. I am in the process of setting up the wifes new vista machine and ocne I get all her JUNK moved over I can play the hadrware moving thing.

Tags
drive, linux