Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 6th February 2007, 04:02 PM
catbird1 Offline

terminal window no longer opens

I"m using fc6. I wanted to have my shell prompt open to a specific directory. I had the bright idea of changing the default profile (from the terminal window,I chose "edit>default profile"). I need to restore it, but where is it, and how can I navigate to it when I don't have access to terminal. Please please don't tell me I have to reinstall the os.
Old 6th February 2007, 05:15 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
This is a new one for me
So just a suggestion .....
Right Click on the Panel and Select Add to Panel and select Command Line
then type
gnome-terminal
and see what happens

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 6th February 2007, 11:44 PM
catbird1 Offline

Seve, I can't get the panel to stay visible long enough to click on it. I can right click on ht launcher, it has in the command field: gnome-terminal . I think I need to change the .profile because I think what I have done is told the launcher to associate gnome-terminal with the directory I was trying to cd to. Any thoughts on how I can edit the .profile without a command line?
Old 7th February 2007, 01:30 AM
nick.stumpos Offline

can you launch xterm
Old 7th February 2007, 08:08 PM
catbird1 Offline

I don't know what you mean (Im an idiot). I launch gnome terminal by clicking a window icon. Is there an xterm icon? btw I was root when I screw this up. I can log in and get the gnome terminal as myself and then su to change root's gnome terminal profile but I don't know where fc6 keeps the terminal's profile. I tried cmd #: vi profile but it opened a new file. Any ideas where the profile for gnome might be? Thanks
Old 7th February 2007, 09:00 PM
alpha645 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbird1
I don't know what you mean (Im an idiot). I launch gnome terminal by clicking a window icon. Is there an xterm icon? btw I was root when I screw this up. I can log in and get the gnome terminal as myself and then su to change root's gnome terminal profile but I don't know where fc6 keeps the terminal's profile. I tried cmd #: vi profile but it opened a new file. Any ideas where the profile for gnome might be? Thanks
He means the real terminal. xterm, it's located in
/usr/bin/xterm . Btw, u violated some rules...
Old 8th February 2007, 11:18 AM
catbird1 Offline

Thanks, yes I can open xterm. I'm going to try to use the find command to locate the profile. I am concerned with the advertisement that found its way into my post. I didn't do that. Is that what you mean by violated? I did fail to capitalize, and I used self-deprecating terms, and I also used the terms su, find, root, Are those considtered slang or geek speak? Thanks
Old 8th February 2007, 01:30 PM
catbird1 Offline

Problem resolved! I navigated to /usr/bin/xterm and opened xterm. From there I right-clicked on the panel as Seve suggested. I removed the offending command cd <path info> that I'd entered earlier. Everything is back to normal. Thanks

Tags
longer, opens, terminal, window