Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd February 2007, 05:46 PM
erinspice Offline

Will yum update break the nvidia kernel module?

I've got an HP6113 with fedora core 6 on it and I'm using the nvidia kernel module and using dual monitors. Will allowing yum to update the system break either of these?

Last edited by erinspice; 23rd February 2007 at 05:50 PM. Reason: running core 6, not 5 as the original post said.
Old 23rd February 2007, 05:58 PM
Dies Offline

Normally, when you run an update if you get a new kernel you will/should get a new matching kmod, but it's possible that things don't always go that way...so yeah it could break but it usually doesn't.

I run FC6 and I've only had it happen once where the Livna packages had a bogus unresolved dependency and couldn't install so it did break but just till the next morning. I was able to fix it by downloading the rpm's right from their site though, but it's always safer to update in the morning or afternoon, try not to update late at night.

All that's assuming you're using yum, if you used the Nvidia Installer from their website then it will definitely break everytime you change kernels and sometimes in between, so keep that installer handy.
Old 23rd February 2007, 06:17 PM
erinspice Offline

Will using --exclude=kernel keep it from breaking?
Old 23rd February 2007, 06:31 PM
CD-RW Offline

I have just set up a cron job with Kcron to run the command:

yum check-update

each hour.

Cron then sends me an email to let me know if there any any security updates available.

If there are, then I can select which updates to install, with something like:

yum update a* b* some-prefix*

This way, I can choose to install all updates apart from the kernel.

I generally like to update the kernel modules seperate from any other updates - just in case there are any problems. You could also leave the kernel updates for a couple of days, to see if there are any reports of new kernels doing what you mentioned above, before you take the plunge and update your machine.
Old 23rd February 2007, 06:32 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinspice
Will using --exclude=kernel keep it from breaking?
Hello:
If you wish to exclude the kernel from being automatically considered for updat then you can add to your /etc/yum.conf file under the [main]
section
exclude=kernel*
and yum will be processed ignoring any kernel updates that become available.

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)

Tags
break, kernel, module, nvidia, update, yum