Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st March 2007, 04:10 PM
Paddyman Offline

Question Help Installing RedHat 9 Linux

Hello,
I'm installing RedHat 9 linux now and it's about .033 seconds to finnish and 51 MG (33 packages) remaining for the installation using the 3 CD and I receive the following message:

Quote:
The Package XFree86-doc-4.3.0-2 cannot be opened. The CD is probably bad.
It hangs and does nothing. It seems like during my transfer, my CD has been some how damage.
I am connected to the internet though. Is there some thing I can do right now to salvage this installation?
Is there a way to download this package online and complete the installation? What do I need to do now.
I would really much appreciate any help in this regard.
Old 1st March 2007, 04:28 PM
c_07 Offline

Can you continue the installation? Or are you stuck? 'Cause if you let the installation finish, you can install that package later. (This package looks like a documentation package only; shouldn't be critical). That's my guess
Old 1st March 2007, 04:40 PM
Paddyman Offline

There is no option to continue the installation. I have only ok on my screen. The reason I want to install RedHat 9 linux is because I want to install Oracle in it. I have got problems with FC6 regarding installing oracle and I couldn't find any help.

Is there any other version which is more reliable to install oralce in it out there?
Old 1st March 2007, 07:22 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

You can't possibly say that it's distro's fault that your CD is screwed.

Anyway, you can hack any system to allow Oracle installation, and if I remember correctly, FC is one of approved distros for it.

For production system, use CentOS (RHEL minus RH branding and price tag) if you can't afford to pay RHEL/ SuSE fees.
Old 2nd March 2007, 07:22 AM
Jason Yu Offline

Check your cd3,maybe it was bad.CentOS is good,it comes from RHEL's SRPM.
Old 2nd March 2007, 07:32 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Is there no retry button?
I had the same problem on FC6 fresh install on one of the last packages and I wasn't about to submit and start all over. I kept clicking retry and after 30 or 40 clicks (give or take a hand full) it finally succeeded.

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted

Tags
installing, linux, redhat