Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th March 2007, 08:25 PM
rdwinders Offline

perl/tk entry widget doesn't get keyboard input

Any perl/tk folks out there that can give me a clue why the 'entry' widget in my program can't recieve input from the keyboard? I've tried visiting some tut sights and copied and pasted some sample programs and got the same result as the one I started out with. It's a simple text to file program I got out of an O'Reilly book, 'Learning Perl/Tk.' It features one entry textbox, 3 buttons, and 1 textarea. The text area gets the keyboard input fine; the text entry can have a string put in it through a hard coded variable and can read the string, but no matter what I do, the entry widget is dead to the keyboard. Cursor blinks once I have clicked on the text box or if given focus by the program but the keyboard is dead.
I'm using perl5.8.8. on a FC6 box.

Here's the main body of widget code:
#!/usr/bin/perl5.8.8
use Tk;
$mw = MainWindow -> new;

#widgets

$frame = $mw -> Frame -> pack(-side => 'top', -fill => 'x');
$frame -> Label (-text => "Filename: ") -> pack(-side => 'left', -anchor => 'w');

$entry = $frame -> Entry (-width => 40, -state => 'normal', -textvariable => \$filename, -takefocus => '1') -> pack(-side => 'left', -anchor => 'w', -fill => 'x', -expand => '1');
$entry -> insert('end', "");
$entry -> focus;
$filename = $entry -> get;
$frame -> Button (-text => "Exit", -command => sub { exit; } ) -> pack (-side => 'right');
$frame -> Button (-text => "Save", -command => \&save_file ) -> pack (-side => 'right', -anchor => 'e');
$frame -> Button (-text => "Load", -command => \&load_file ) -> pack (-side => 'right', -anchor => 'e');
$mw -> Label (-textvariable => \$info, -relief => 'ridge') -> pack (-side => 'bottom', -fill => 'x');
$t = $mw -> Scrolled("Text") -> pack(-side => 'bottom', -fill => 'both', -expand => 1);
Old 18th March 2007, 10:07 PM
daverj Offline

I tested the exact code you provided and had no problem running it. Not sure how to help you. Sorry

davidj
Old 18th March 2007, 10:12 PM
paul matthijsse Offline

does pressing NumLock helps?
Old 18th March 2007, 11:05 PM
rdwinders Offline

No. It didn't help. Thanks daverj for trying it on yours. So, permissions? chmod? I'm not running it in root. But, since the scrolling text receives input, I'm at a loss why the entry text box won't. The only difference I can see is that one is inside a frame.
Old 19th March 2007, 06:57 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

I'd try getting rid of the "$filename = $entry -> get;" line. You already made $filename hold the value of $entry when you created $entry.
Old 19th March 2007, 11:06 PM
rdwinders Offline

This afternoon I'll try that. I think it was something I added in the different attempts to get the widget to recieve from the keyboard. I also tried to configure the GUI without the parent frame. I have also copied code from perlmonks site and tried that but always this entry widget doesn't get input from the keyboard. Right now I am wondering if it is something with the keyboard driver or a selinux setting.

Tags
entry, input, keyboard, perl or tk, widget