Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th March 2007, 03:17 AM
manu619 Offline

iMac intel

Hello I have a iMac intel whit a ATI X1600 128 MB and I want Beryl but I don't know where to start can someone help me !
Old 19th March 2007, 05:21 AM
tomoir_III Offline

Hey, I'm not sure if it is possible to get Beryl running on a Mac, but I have heard that you can get KDE on a Mac, and maybe in that way you could somehow get Beryl to work.

http://ranger.users.finkproject.org/kde/index.php/Home
Old 19th March 2007, 06:27 AM
Greywhind Offline

If you have Fedora 6 installed (dual-booting with Mac OS X), you can get Beryl to run on it on your Intel iMac (I have essentially the same computer).

Note: You won't be able to run 3D games or other programs requiring 3D acceleration at the same time as Beryl, since ATI doesn't make drivers for their graphics cards that work with AIGLX, the underlying technology that would allow 3D games and Beryl at the same time. Instead, you'll have to use XGL, which will not give you both at once.

I have never installed Beryl personally, but if you search the forums for a howto on XGL + Beryl, you should be able to get it working.

If you haven't installed the fglrx graphics driver for your ATI x1600 card, you'll have to do that FIRST, before installing XGL and Beryl. Go to rpm.livna.org and follow the instructions there for installing the livna repository (to get fglrx from), then yum install kmod-fglrx. Reboot. Execute the command glxinfo | grep direct. If you see "Direct Rendering: yes", you've got the fglrx drivers installed correctly. Then you can go on with installing xgl/beryl.

Here's a guide I found - read the explanation at the beginning, then try the section starting with "XGL", then "XGL - Compiz" and "XGL - Beryl".

I hope that all works for you. Good luck.

Whind Games Website
Old 21st March 2007, 02:02 AM
manu619 Offline

I've got some problem installing fglrx can someone help me
Old 21st March 2007, 02:07 AM
Greywhind Offline

I'd suggest either giving details about your problem on this forum, since nobody can help without knowing what's wrong, or talking to someone on IRC about it (the server is irc.freenode.net, the room is #fedora).

Whind Games Website
Old 21st March 2007, 03:21 AM
manu619 Offline

I think i got il install but when i try glxinfo | grep direct it says

[root@localhost ~]# glxinfo | grep direct
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
Old 21st March 2007, 06:15 AM
tomoir_III Offline

Quote:
Hello I have a iMac intel whit a ATI X1600 128 MB and I want Beryl but I don't know where to start can someone help me !
OOOOOH!!! You meant install Beryl on Fedora on a mac!! I thought you meant install Beryl on Mac OS! Silly me! Sorry about that!
Old 21st March 2007, 08:26 PM
manu619 Offline

can someone help me please
Old 21st March 2007, 11:59 PM
manu619 Offline

I realy need help Today I see Beryl on a other computer It sooooo nice I want it so bad!!!
Old 22nd March 2007, 04:36 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu619
I realy need help Today I see Beryl on a other computer It sooooo nice I want it so bad!!!
Hi,
Since fglrx's DRI doesn't work with AIGLX, you'll get very bad quality when using AIGLX which is the Fedora default. Check out my howto (see my signature link) and if you use Xgl, you can get Beryl running.
Firewing1
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:23 PM
Greywhind Offline

So, when you boot your computer, are there any messages related to fglrx? Something to do with direct rendering?

Check /var/log/boot.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log as well.

If there are, please copy and paste those messages into this thread. They may help someone to figure out what's wrong with your installation of fglrx.

Whind Games Website
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:55 PM
manu619 Offline

It's ok now he's working

Tags
imac, intel