Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th March 2007, 02:45 AM
PhillipGreen Offline

Ip6tables Error During Bootup

Hi, everyone.

Well, I have had Fedora 6 for a few days now (completely updated) on my Gateway 450SX Laptop. I recently switched from Windows Xp. I've enjoyed the OS thus far and think things are working out well (besides a nightmarish wireless card setup). Anyway, I just noticed that I am receiving a Failed message during bootup. Specifically it says an "Error Occured at Line: 3" It says to try Ip6tables-restore -h for more information. However, that was not very helpful and I am a little confused as to want the error is about.

I think there may be more to the error message. Is there a bootup log I can access? Does anybody know what the error is about? Again, I'm a newbie and have been messing around all day with Fedora. I might have caused the problem when uninstalling a few programs such as ndiswrapper (which I ended up not using for my wireless connection). I'm unsure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what information you.

Phillip
Old 24th March 2007, 06:43 AM
jbannon Offline

Look in /var/log/messages and you might get a bit more info about why IPTables isn't starting properly. It's probably harmless anyway as IPv6 isn't used much. You can turn off IPv6 in the service manager (System -> Administration -> Services if you're running Gnome) and it probably won't make any difference to your connectivity.
(Registered Linux User #405603 :) )
Old 24th March 2007, 06:53 AM
ihavenoname Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipGreen
Hi, everyone.

Well, I have had Fedora 6 for a few days now (completely updated) on my Gateway 450SX Laptop. I recently switched from Windows Xp. I've enjoyed the OS thus far and think things are working out well (besides a nightmarish wireless card setup). Anyway, I just noticed that I am receiving a Failed message during bootup. Specifically it says an "Error Occured at Line: 3" It says to try Ip6tables-restore -h for more information. However, that was not very helpful and I am a little confused as to want the error is about.

I think there may be more to the error message. Is there a bootup log I can access? Does anybody know what the error is about? Again, I'm a newbie and have been messing around all day with Fedora. I might have caused the problem when uninstalling a few programs such as ndiswrapper (which I ended up not using for my wireless connection). I'm unsure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what information you.

Phillip

I remember there being a gui for this, Not sure what it is called. I do know that many logs are stored in /var/log.
Old 24th March 2007, 06:55 PM
PhillipGreen Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbannon
Look in /var/log/messages and you might get a bit more info about why IPTables isn't starting properly. It's probably harmless anyway as IPv6 isn't used much. You can turn off IPv6 in the service manager (System -> Administration -> Services if you're running Gnome) and it probably won't make any difference to your connectivity.

Thanks for your help. I looked at the log files in /var/log but could not find the actual Failed message I recieved during bootup. Oh well. Anyway, I turned of the IPv6 tables as you suggested. After rebooting I received no error and my internet connectivity seems fine. So everything seems ok.

Just out of interest, what exactly do the IPv6 tables do? From what I gather they are connected with the Firewall. I'm not making my computer unsecure by turning this off I'm I?

Again, thank you for your time and help.

Peace,
Phillip
Old 24th March 2007, 08:54 PM
jbannon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipGreen
Thanks for your help. I looked at the log files in /var/log but could not find the actual Failed message I recieved during bootup. Oh well. Anyway, I turned of the IPv6 tables as you suggested. After rebooting I received no error and my internet connectivity seems fine. So everything seems ok.

Just out of interest, what exactly do the IPv6 tables do? From what I gather they are connected with the Firewall. I'm not making my computer unsecure by turning this off I'm I?

Again, thank you for your time and help.

Peace,
Phillip
IPv6 IP Tables do the same thing as IPv4 IP Tables - firewall duties, packet filtering, NAT that sort of thing. Technically your system is less secure on an IPv6 network if you don't have IP Tables running but since hardly anyone uses IPv6 it shouldn't really matter. You can always disable IPv6 on your network card using system-config-network anyway.
(Registered Linux User #405603 :) )

Tags
bootup, error, ip6tables