Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th March 2007, 05:31 AM
dmb Offline

Need help with ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard

Well, this one is a bit unusual. As you may know, this fine motherboard comes with PCIe video set as default in BIOS. So I've put together my box this evening, hooked up my DVI monitor to its onboard DVI port and there's nothing on there. I don't have a graphics card to resolve this, either.

The only solution that comes to mind is to ask someone (PLEASE!) to reboot their M2NPV-VM based box, enter the BIOS and record the sequence of keystrokes I need to repeat to get things switched over to onboard video.

If you have this mobo, could you please help me out?
Old 30th March 2007, 06:04 AM
v00d00 Offline

If its a Nvidia card, you need to boot up, start in single mode (init 2 ie console mode), then run 'init 3' to get everything working in console mode. Then either edit your xorg.conf or run the nvidia-xconfig program.

For ATI, i havent got a clue.

Registered Linux User #314489
Old 30th March 2007, 06:10 AM
dmb Offline

I don't even get that far. The system starts, but since default video is set to PCIe in BIOS, there's no video signal on onboard DVI port. IOW, I don't even get console. That's a retarded choice of default setting on ASUS's part.
Old 30th March 2007, 06:16 AM
civilwarlord Offline

I don't suppose your monitor came with an adapter to use in case you don't have a dvi port on your computer?

What beeps do you hear when turning the computer on and what's the model number of the monitor?

Last edited by civilwarlord; 30th March 2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 30th March 2007, 06:38 AM
pinhead Offline

I suspect that the default video BIOS setting is not your problem. I think that only comes into play when there is a PCIe video card installed.

I am using the same setup and it 'just worked'.

I'll take a look tonight and record the keystrokes anyway, just in case it helps...
Old 30th March 2007, 07:20 AM
dmb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilwarlord
I don't suppose your monitor came with an adapter to use in case you don't have a dvi port on your computer?

What beeps do you hear when turning the computer on and what's the model number of the monitor?
There's only one beep - the normal POST beep. After that it even begins to boot up, but since the hard drive is a pull from an earlier box (with FC6 on it) and drive letters don't match, it doesn't go very far in the boot process. Since I can't see what's going on, my guess is it loads GRUB and stops right there.

My monitor is Apple Cinema Display HD, 23" model.
Old 30th March 2007, 07:22 AM
dmb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
I suspect that the default video BIOS setting is not your problem. I think that only comes into play when there is a PCIe video card installed.

I am using the same setup and it 'just worked'.

I'll take a look tonight and record the keystrokes anyway, just in case it helps...
That'd really help, thanks. I've googled a bit and it seems like I'm not alone experiencing these issues. Some folks report that VGA output works. My TV supports VGA, but I don't have a VGA cable either.

So if you could write down the key sequence, I'd very much appreciate it.
Old 30th March 2007, 09:45 AM
pinhead Offline

OK, I managed to get the same problem by setting "RGB / TV Display" to "RGB" (the setting that works for me is "AUTO") I don't have a primary video BIOS setting anywhere. I'm running the 11/29/2006 - 0603 BIOS version.

With the setting on "RGB", the DVI port stopped working (until after the X server loaded), but the VGA port was still good. If you have a spare VGA cable, you might just try plugging that in. It would probably save a lot of hassle, because the keystrokes that worked for me may not work for you if you are running a different BIOS version.

Anyway... If you have "RGB / TV Display" set to "RGB", the following keystrokes should set it to "AUTO". There are three options, so if it doesn't work the first time, you might give it another try.

Code:
Immediately after the beep, hold down <DEL> for about 5 seconds.
<right arrow>
<ENTER>
<down arrow><down arrow><down arrow>   (ie, press it three times)
<ENTER>
<up arrow>
<ENTER>
<F10>
<ENTER>

Tags
asus, m2npvvm, motherboard