Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd April 2007, 06:49 PM
appunni Offline

real player as default player for firefox browser

Sir,
When I tried to listen some classical music from online radio, the Totemplayer showed that it cannot do that due to the absense of some plugins. I saw the extension of the file as .rm. I pasted the location name to real player 10 and again tried. This time I could hear the music. Can I listen music through totem player from internet? I can see movie in totem player during offline. Can I see movies online with totemplayer? Can I make real player as default player in Firefox browser so that I could listen online music directly. Can I see movies through RealPlayer?
Thanks
appunni
Old 3rd April 2007, 07:01 PM
bytesniper Offline

you can associate specific extensions with specific applications through firefox using /etc/mime.types and /etc/mailcap. as far as i know there is nothing in firefox that allows you to create a new action for specific extensions. you can go to preferences/content/file types/actions but that only allows you to manage and change existing download actions.

in mime.types: verify the mime type for the desired file is present with it's extension. for realplayer it would be application/vnd.rn-realmedia with the rm extension (once you edit the file you will see the format it goes in).

in mailcap: you would put in the mimtype again followed immediately by a ; (semicolon) and then the executable name of the application you want it to open with, such as realplayer followed by %s.

save the files, restart firefox, and it should be good to go. it's worked many time for me.

Joseph
Old 3rd April 2007, 07:12 PM
appunni Offline

Sir,
Since I am very new to Linux and Fedora, I could not understand what you said. Plese simplify what you said. Thanks in advance.
appunni
Old 3rd April 2007, 07:41 PM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

Appuni. I'm using Seamonkey as my browser, but it's a close relative of Firefox, so this should work. Click on ' Edit ' in the toolbar at the top of your browser, then select ' Preferences ' on the drop-down menu. Click ' Helper applications ' and you should see a list of file types, click on the one(s) you want to play through RealPlayer and then ' edit ', this will allow you to set Realplayer as the default to handle that file type. This is basically what Bytesniper said, but using the graphic interface which is probably easier for a new Linux user. It's well worth getting the hang of the Command Line though, it's more flexible and usually quicker - once you know the commands! If this doesn't work, try the ' Search ' facility at the top of the page, RealPlayer can be tricky to set up, just typing ' realplayer ' will turn up plenty of threads on the topic.
Old 3rd April 2007, 07:47 PM
bytesniper Offline

seamonkey is what the mozilla browser turned into so its the entire suite ... newsreader, mail client, irc, browser, etc. Yes, seamonkey has this option, and it works most of the time, but firefox does not. the only way i have found to associate specific extensions with specific applications in firefox is to use mime.types and mailcap. yes, it would seem to me that there has to be an easier way, and if there is, it would be nice if someone shared

Joseph
Old 4th April 2007, 06:25 PM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

Appuni. Thinking back over my own experience getting RealPlayer to work, it may be worth while logging in as root and looking in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. If you find any plugins relating to totem there delete them, and check that you have nphelix.so. close and log out as root, then log back in as user, and you should find that Firefox will automatically open RealPlayer audio and video using RealPlayer. I say should, because there may be problems with playing items that are linked to rather than playing them from the parent site, I understand that this is being worked on. Hope this helps.

Tags
browser, default, firefox, player, real