Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd April 2007, 09:40 PM
Jongi Offline

Need to split

EDIT: Apologies for the crappy title

Due to our backward internet here, I have cause to need to split traffic between local and international traffic. Now some has set up a process to do this via IPCop. Unfortunately this is not an option for me and I am trying to convert the IPCop instructions to FC instructions (IPCop instructions attached).

The problem is that I can't get past the first part of creating a ppp0 and ppp1 that run. Well the ppp0 runs but not the ppp1.

The instructions say
Code:
The first thing I needed to find out is what is the pppd command that I need in order to set up a second PPPoE connection to my isp. All I did is issue the following command while I had a connection running:

ps -ef|grep pppd

I got the following:

root 12942 1 0 Jan24 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/pppd plugin rp-pppoe.so eth1 usepeerdns noipdefault defaultroute hide-password ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote passive noccp nopcomp novjccomp user MyUserName lcp-echo-interval 20 lcp-echo-failure 3 lcp-max-configure 50 maxfail 5

I then saved the command into a separate file for later use in a script.

I made a couple of changes to the command for my second link. The first change I made was use the "nodefaultroute" option as I was going to be setting up only the static local subnets as routes. I also took out the "hide-password" option. I was going to use the "password" option directly in the command itself.

My new pppd command now looks like this:

/usr/sbin/pppd plugin rp-pppoe.so eth1 usepeerdns noipdefault nodefaultroute ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote passive noccp nopcomp novjccomp user MyUserName password MyPassword lcp-echo-interval 20 lcp-echo-failure 3 lcp-max-configure 50 maxfail 5

I have:
Code:
[root:~#] ps -ef|grep pppd
root      2530  2468  0 21:53 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/pppd pty /usr/sbin/pppoe -p /var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid.pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -U  -m 1412    ipparam ppp0 linkname ppp0 noipdefault noauth default-asyncmap defaultroute hide-password nodetach usepeerdns mtu 1492 mru 1492 noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp user username lcp-echo-interval 20 lcp-echo-failure 3
root      4020  3601  0 22:31 pts/2    00:00:00 grep pppd
Now I have tried
Code:
[root:~#] /usr/sbin/pppd pty /usr/sbin/pppoe -p -I eth0 -T 80 -U  -m 1412    ipparam ppp1 linkname ppp1 noipdefault noauth default-asyncmap nodefaultroute nodetach usepeerdns mtu 1492 mru 1492 noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp user myusername password mypassword lcp-echo-interval 20 lcp-echo-failure 3
/usr/sbin/pppd: unrecognized option '-I'
pppd version 2.4.4
Usage: /usr/sbin/pppd [ options ], where options are:
        <device>        Communicate over the named device
        <speed>         Set the baud rate to <speed>
        <loc>:<rem>     Set the local and/or remote interface IP
                        addresses.  Either one may be omitted.
        asyncmap <n>    Set the desired async map to hex <n>
        auth            Require authentication from peer
        connect <p>     Invoke shell command <p> to set up the serial line
        crtscts         Use hardware RTS/CTS flow control
        defaultroute    Add default route through interface
        file <f>        Take options from file <f>
        modem           Use modem control lines
        mru <n>         Set MRU value to <n> for negotiation
See pppd(8) for more options.
I setup the ppp0 account using adsl-setup. I tried to setup the ppp1 account using adsl-setup, but after I run /sbin/ifup ppp1, when I run ifconfig there is no mention of ppp1.

I am a complete noob when it comes to network matters. Is what I am trying to do even possible?
Attached Files
File Type: gz IPCop Instructions.doc.tar.gz (6.2 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Jongi; 3rd April 2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Crappy title

Tags
split