Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th April 2007, 02:15 AM
fc6_user Offline

SoftMAC: Annoying message in terminal every 60 seconds

FC6... I'm using FPC (Free Pascal Compiler) from the terminal (not a terminal emulator, but the actual terminal). I'm also using the terminal because, as an exercise, I'd like to familiarise myself with and be more confortable in this environment, be able to navigate around with ease and do more things with it (vi, emacs, etc.).

I get a very annoying, uninvited (and unwelcome!) message every 60 seconds or so that just rudely barges in on me, sometimes in the middle of output, both in the terminal window and in FPC.

Here's the message:

SoftMAC: Start scanning with channel: 1
SoftMAC: Scanning 14 channels
SoftMAC: Scanning finished

Is this a bad thing? A bad sign (is there something wrong?)? Or is this completely normal? Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this from happening? I'm enjoying working from the terminal, but this recurring message is driving me nuts!

Many thanks.

Last edited by fc6_user; 4th April 2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 4th April 2007, 04:01 AM
ppesci Offline

Heh, appear to be a message from your mschine trying to get a wireless connection. If you have a wireless card, disable it with the ifdown command.

Usually, this massage is managed for syslog daemon and must be wrote to a /var/log/message.

HTH

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 4th April 2007, 12:56 PM
fc6_user Offline

Oh! Then this is maybe more complicated than I had thought. I'm using wireless to access tutorials and going back and forth from the GUI to Terminal (going back and forth with F1 and F7) using different user accounts. I need wifi access to do this, but I also need to use the terminal. I'm using NetworkManager to make the connection (applet), I don't know very much about networks and network connections, I couldn't tell you more than that, however, I could run some commands in the terminal if you tell me what information you need.

I've been having some other wifi problems, although, I've kind of forgotten all about them and worked my way around them. However, it'd be cool to be able to solve these problems as well. Perhaps all of these problems are related:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=147163
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=146696
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=147476

Cheers.
Old 4th April 2007, 04:01 PM
ppesci Offline

Appear to me that you are connecting in a extrange way from terminal in F1. Try this:

Open a new console in F2 and start or restart networking. In that case, I think the output will go to console in F2 and do not shoking you. To restart network type as root:

/etc/init.d/network restart

Your wireless connection appear not to be very reliable because this message only appear when you try to get a connection, and in reliable network this happens only 1 time at the strt of the service. I can't guess why the output is going to the console, Usually the output goes to a file /var/log/messages using the syslog daemon.

I read your others postings and appear to me they are related: You had a mess with your wireless connection, and I think you must reconfigure it from the scratch. Networking is a general available service and is not user dependent. When you turnet on, in default fedora configuration, the service is available for all users in all ways or for 1 user in all consoles/gui environments. Is transparent.

I don't know what changes you friend did, and don't want to mess your network configuration more than now appear to be. Try to use another console for start or restart the connection and see if the trick work. If work fine, you can do the job and in parallel can understand how to configure networking better. I can help you but it can take time because there are your friend changes that I don't know. Probably is better for you as new linux user, start from a clean new install, but first, do your job.

Put your findings here.

HTH

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop

Tags
annoying, message, seconds, softmac, terminal