Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th April 2007, 11:35 PM
glenngds2006 Offline

Exclamation Rawhide LiveCD will not boot??!!

I downloaded the latest version of Rawhide last night--whatever version that is??? What I get is a screen that says "ISO-LINUX?????" and then a fatal error message that says "failed to boot, hit any key to reboot". It does not load the kernel nor Anaconda nor Grub nor anything else. I checked my my download and I verified that my CD matched the download and so on. Tried to file a bugzilla report on it and I keep getting an error that says "this is not a valid product" from Bugzilla.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:39 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

Hi Glenn

F7 test 3 live CD has a lot of issues that way. Won't boot on my laptops either.

Dan
Old 25th April 2007, 02:01 AM
ryptyde Offline

I have the F7T3 live cd.iso and checked the sha1sum to verify its integrity,the sums matched, then I burned it to a CD/RW. I have booted this disk on three desktops and just finished trying it on a Sony laptop with wireless mouse and it connected to internet(adsl).

The laptop has Intel graphics and the desktop-effects work,I haven't tried to connect to a wireless network yet but will soon. I have also run the FC6 LiveCD that came out in December and that .iso was burned to a Sony mini DVD-RW and have also used it on several desktops and also the laptop.
Old 25th April 2007, 08:12 PM
glenngds2006 Offline

I did not think the bugzillas report did not go thru, but it definitely registered on the system because I am now getting several emails from bugzilla. It appears the very same bug has previously been reported by others. Just to know I am not alone in this bug is comforting. On the other hand to know such a serious bug exists in the software this late in the developement cycle is not comforting.
Old 25th April 2007, 08:23 PM
herrib Offline

Well, FC7T3 is a test version isn't it p-) . Did you try some parameters to instruct the kernel?

I faced no problem with FC7T3 though I had to cope with the i586 bug for the FC6 release (configuration is: laptop Vaio VGN FS285H).

I'm satisfied of the version (only a few minor bugs) especially to automatic configuration of the ipw2200bg and the monitor and the full support of cpufreq, all features that were difficult to set up for FC6.
Old 25th April 2007, 08:36 PM
glenngds2006 Offline

I does not boot up to anything useful. All I get is a screen that says "ISO-LINUX" and something to the left of it and about half way down the screen is a message that says "failed to boot" that is coming from my bios or maybe the CD, not sure which.
Old 26th April 2007, 01:12 AM
ryptyde Offline

Have you access to another computer to try to see if it boots and gets along further in the boot. I have had discs that were live distros that would have boot problems and Knoppix 5.0.1 was one of them. Usually Knoppix has about the best track record for hardware recognition but this one choked on the video card,I used a cheatcode to get it to boot though and get to the desktop.

I think I would try it in another box just to see what happens.
Old 26th April 2007, 01:47 AM
Firewing1 Offline

F7T4 comes out very soon (matter of days), and the merger of the Core and Extras is happening soon after that - I would try using that liveCD instead.
Firewing1
Old 26th April 2007, 05:39 AM
glenngds2006 Offline

anyway I think I discovered the source of some of my problems. I used nero to burn the iso image to disk. When i used k3b to burn the iso image to disk it at least does much more when I boot off the disk--but still does not come up all the way--I get a no /dev/root error.

Tags
boot, livecd, rawhide