Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th May 2007, 06:25 AM
Rlasarus Offline

Installing Additional Software From FC6 CD

Hi, appreciate some help here. But first of all I am new to this Linux thing..just managed to install FC6 last night. I installed it with default configuration without adding any extra software or tools. But now I need to add some tools and software like KDE Desktop Environment, Software Development, etc..I tried to boot again from the installation CD and select the "Upgrade" option. But I found that I could not add those tools as no wizard provided to do so.

I believed there a lot and a lot of tools provided in the 6 CDs. So far I only use 2 of the 6 CDs for installation last night.

Once again.. appreciate if someone could help me on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th May 2007, 06:33 AM
lazlow Offline

Rlasarus

Assuming you have a good network connection you would be much better off installing them with yum. There are not very many packages that have not been updated since FC6 was released. Many of them have been updated several times.
Old 11th May 2007, 06:38 AM
Rlasarus Offline

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to say I have no network connection at the moment. Is there any means or ways to install something from the CD? I must wasting my time downloading the 6 CDs ISO Image from the net without utilizing them at all.

Thanks for reply anyway.
Old 11th May 2007, 07:23 AM
marcrblevins Offline

Then you better off reinstall and select what you need first time installing it. That makes your CDs useful.
Whenever you get your fast network connection going, then the CDs would be most useless.

Welcome to Fedora!
Note: Fedora 7 is coming out on 24th? So make it useful to learn FC6 in a few weeks.
Old 11th May 2007, 07:35 AM
Rlasarus Offline

I found some info to achieve what I want at this site --> http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages

Actually I am planning to learn Ubuntu as well. I hope it is much easier and friendly than FC.

IMO, it's quite hard for first time user (like me) to deal with Linux especially for the installation part. Installing from RPM is OK (i just install AVG AntiVirus) but some installer distribute in ".gz" (i tried to install Firefox 2 but failed) which not easy to install. Well, I think i need some time to get use for all this Linux world.
Old 11th May 2007, 07:54 AM
AllanPen Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlasarus
I found some info to achieve what I want at this site --> http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages

Actually I am planning to learn Ubuntu as well. I hope it is much easier and friendly than FC.

IMO, it's quite hard for first time user (like me) to deal with Linux especially for the installation part. Installing from RPM is OK (i just install AVG AntiVirus) but some installer distribute in ".gz" (i tried to install Firefox 2 but failed) which not easy to install. Well, I think i need some time to get use for all this Linux world.
For Firefox 2 upgrade the following worked perfectly for me:
Upgrade to Firefox 2 and Thunderbird 2
As root do the following.
wget http://remi.collet.free.fr/rpms/fc6....emi.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh remi-release-6-1.fc6.remi.noarch.rpm
yum --enable remi update firefox thunderbird

By the way another distro that I like although I'm not using it now as I have a network problem to fix with it. Anyways the distro I'm referring to is Xandros.
As for an anti virus program I don't think too many Linux users are even using one.
Old 11th May 2007, 01:55 PM
lmo Offline

Here is how I did it http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...5&postcount=14
Old 11th May 2007, 02:40 PM
robatino Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrblevins
Welcome to Fedora!
Note: Fedora 7 is coming out on 24th? So make it useful to learn FC6 in a few weeks.
Fedora 7 has been delayed at least a week.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/7/Schedule

Tags
additional, fc6, installing, software