Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th May 2007, 02:29 PM
niko123456 Offline

How did you migrate?

At the moment I'm having a go of Suse 10.2, and its reminded me what a cow the migrating experience is. Although the window manager is familiar, its still pretty obvious how different this distribution is. Yast is weird.. I keep getting asked weird questions about what to do, and it is SO slow. I have to babysit it to install anything and even then it spits weird advice.

But I'm slowly getting used to its weirder package repos. I love its KDE menu.

Anyway, back to the migration issue.

I remember switching from Linux as my brother had set me up a computer and installed Fedora Core 1 on it. I used it for a bit and liked it, but was pretty confused. I remember switching back to Windows, having a ***** of a time trying to find drivers before finally making the switch to Fedora Core 2.

I eventually got used to it, using apt-get as my package tool. It was fairly quick and I always liked not having to connect to the repos to perform a task. Eventually, Fedora versions onwards, its become my baby.

I always tinker with other distros, like now, but I just find Fedora so familiar and cosy. Ubuntu really bugs me, and I love that Fedora (okay, and PCLinuxOS) actually does have the best hardware support. My video card works perfectly every time, screen res is fine.. These USED to be an issue on Fedora, but I'm amazed it is still an issue on Ubuntu.

Anyway.. just my crazy ramblings.
Old 14th May 2007, 03:02 PM

crazy indead,.. you said the swear word :P

i had a duel boot going with win2k until i felt comfortable, eventually the more time i spent in linux i would find the more of my files and stuff would end up on my linux partition, and i going into windows was annoying as it couldnt access those things.

I eventually gave windows the flick when i needed the hard drive space for something more pressing, like a collection of high res snaps of the moon maybe? or was it every musical score by Gilbert and Sulivan.. ... ... ...

Ahhhh to sing a song for a lady. ..
Old 14th May 2007, 03:14 PM
daihard Offline

I just tried Ubuntu 6.10 in order to see if it's something I can easily adopt. I threw up my hands after a couple of days. Coming from the RH/Fedora world, I just couldn't stand it.

As for migrating from the dark side, I didn't have too much of an issue. Unlike the above case, I knew I'd run into differences and was ready to spend time learning how to use Linux. I've never had any of my computers dual-booted. I got rid of Windows when I installed RH 7.3. That way, I'd be forced to learn when I ran into difficulties.
Registered Linux User: #281828
Fedora Core 6 (kernel 2.6.22.9-61.fc6) / KDE 3.5.8
Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2 / Athlon64 X2 5200+ / 2GB Patriot PC2-5300 RAM
PNY Verto GeForce 7300GS / NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX
Old 14th May 2007, 03:15 PM
Wayne

I love duel boots, it's funny to see my footwear fighting each other with sabres at dawn

Wayne
Old 14th May 2007, 03:16 PM

sure way to be thrown in the deep end

i prefer to wade in and out of trouble before diving in feet first
Old 14th May 2007, 03:25 PM
Wayne

It was sad watching the best object oriented desktop OS being killed off by its creator, who if they hadn't have bowed to the demands of M$ could have wiped the floor with them. I needed simple up-to-date things like being able to watch my DVDs, Java that wasn't ported from windows code and several revisions behind, the same in an office suite and other multimedia capabilities, etc. Windross was never a choice and I could not afford a Mac, so I embraced Linux. The day I wiped the partitions containing the best desktop OS there ever was, was the saddest day of my computer life.

Wayne
Old 14th May 2007, 03:30 PM
niko123456 Offline

...and that desktop was?
Old 14th May 2007, 03:31 PM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko123456
...and that desktop was?
I thought that was obvious... OS/2!

Wayne
Old 14th May 2007, 03:32 PM
niko123456 Offline

I must admit it is something I know nothing about.

It was Unix based?
Old 14th May 2007, 03:34 PM

sorta :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os2
Old 14th May 2007, 03:35 PM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko123456
I must admit it is something I know nothing about.

It was Unix based?
Nooooo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2

http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/OS2History.html

There are many other links if you search for 'OS/2 history'

Wayne
Old 14th May 2007, 03:47 PM
Wayne

I've still got my Warp 4.52 disks in a box just inside the closet next to where I'm sitting and there's a PC on the next desk doing nothing that I could install it on no problem, everything will be supported. I miss a lot about the desktop and the way it functions, especially its 'shadows' Create a shadow of any directory on your desktop then move the original directory and the shadow keeps up with it. It took a long time for M$ to copy that. It works even if you do it from a command line, Gnome or KDE can't even do that, try creating a link on your desktop of one of the folders in your home then move that original folder and the link will be broken. I really should destroy the disks, the temptation to install it is sometimes too great.

Wayne
Old 14th May 2007, 03:51 PM
lazlow Offline

Wayne

If the mood ever strikes you to get rid of them just PM me. I will take them.

Lazlow
Old 14th May 2007, 04:05 PM

hmmm good point with the following of links..
Old 14th May 2007, 04:20 PM
daihard Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondonjin
Create a shadow of any directory on your desktop then move the original directory and the shadow keeps up with it. It took a long time for M$ to copy that. It works even if you do it from a command line, Gnome or KDE can't even do that, try creating a link on your desktop of one of the folders in your home then move that original folder and the link will be broken. I really should destroy the disks, the temptation to install it is sometimes too great.
Can you create hard links instead of symbolic links? I know hard links won't work with directories, but if you don't have too many files, hard-linking them onto your desktop may be an alternative. Just a quick thought.
Registered Linux User: #281828
Fedora Core 6 (kernel 2.6.22.9-61.fc6) / KDE 3.5.8
Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2 / Athlon64 X2 5200+ / 2GB Patriot PC2-5300 RAM
PNY Verto GeForce 7300GS / NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX