Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st June 2007, 07:15 AM
emnahirn1 Offline

Question via_pata IDE driver

I am trying to load Fedora 7. My PC is Pentium III / ASUS CUV4X based. The problem is that during the installation, I can not get past the Loading SCSI Driver. The installation is unable to assign the pata_via HD IDE driver which is necessary for the build. I have seen some references on the internet that the pata_via HD IDE driver is not supported in all kernels. Is there a work around so I can continue with the Build?
Old 1st June 2007, 11:37 AM
sideways Offline
Retired User

try adding 'noapic' to the kernel parameters

If it's doesn't work then you may have to wait for a kernel update (or maybe someone else knows of other kernel options to try for this board). Have you installed FC6 or any other linux distros successfully on this pc?
Old 4th June 2007, 06:15 AM
emnahirn1 Offline

Thanks for info. I had this board working in Fedora Core 3. In Fedora Core 3, I just moved my hard drive from another PC to the current PC, and booted. After a longer boot then normal, i.e. the system detected a number of driver changes, the PC was working in FC3. I tried the upgrade in FC6, and now FC7 with the same issue; They both have problems loading the pata_via driver. I'll need to figure out how to chang the 'noapic' to the kernel parameters on boot...
Old 4th June 2007, 10:42 AM
sblantipodi Offline

some problem here only in fc7 with abit kr7a.
Old 4th June 2007, 11:14 AM
sblantipodi Offline

noapic doen't solve this problem
Old 4th June 2007, 02:30 PM
AlexDudko Offline

Almost the same problem: installationfreezes with Loading pata-sis driver... on one of my boxes. FC6 and several other systems installed successfully on it.
If someone solves the problem - let us know, plz!
Old 4th June 2007, 02:45 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

If you have a ps/2 keyboard and mouse then apparently 'nousb' option helps

http://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newb...38133&forum=10

(To add options with the live cd press tab at the loading screen, with a normal install disk just add them to the boot options, 'linux nousb')
Old 5th June 2007, 01:37 PM
sblantipodi Offline

ok, I've found a workaround and now it works for me.

- Add a temp partition to your hd.
- Copy F7 iso to this partition.
- Boot from DVD, when loading PATA_VIA driver your dvd rom will be stopped, now think that your PC has only one hd drive and nothing else.
- Point installation to the temp partition and install F7 from the iso you have selected.
- After installation,recompile the kernel and use VIA82CXXX instead of PATA_VIA.

Have fun
Old 13th July 2007, 10:16 PM
ronald.watson Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnahirn1
I am trying to load Fedora 7. My PC is Pentium III / ASUS CUV4X based. The problem is that during the installation, I can not get past the Loading SCSI Driver. The installation is unable to assign the pata_via HD IDE driver which is necessary for the build. I have seen some references on the internet that the pata_via HD IDE driver is not supported in all kernels. Is there a work around so I can continue with the Build?
I've had the same problem with Fedora 7... On the other hand, I did not experience the problem using Unbreakable Linux 4 or Ubuntu 7.0.4 desktop .... so there's some issue with the installer scrpts and/or the lack of a driver. My bet's on the installer....

Tags
driver, ide, viapata