Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th June 2007, 02:22 PM
marisdembovskis Offline

gnash-plugin instead of flash-plugin

There is available gnash-plugin for F7.
Well I'm allways getting frustrated when thing comes to flash-plugin. Then it's beta and not working. Then you can download it but its not for x86_64. Then its available for 64 too, but when istall it, still you need manual workaround it. Then to use it u need to disable se linux what the sh....?

Then I found gnash-plugin. http://gnash.lulu.com/?q=node/27
Does the same as flash-plugin, but
1. it downloads with yum -y insall gnash-plugin without adding special repos
2. it supports x86_64
3. when you install it, it really is installed and working.
4. you don't need manual workaround
5. SeLinux is active and you don't need to turn it off.

sadly that it's somehow works, but hangs up. at least on my box today. But hope they will clean the bugs and this will be best choise for F7 x86_64 if you want to watch flash and easy install.

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa | grep gnash
gnash-plugin-0.7.2-2.fc7
gnash-0.7.2-2.fc7
when I open site with flash, it loads flash image and after 5 seconds stops.
in firefox:
aboutlugins
MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
---
my box=F 10 Toshiba R200 = nice & cool
was using ubuntu for a year, return to Fedora. :) Faster.
Old 12th June 2007, 02:59 PM
a_small_cake Offline

I try to use it too. However as you mentioned it is still buggy (but promising). Today Gnash 0.8.0 has been released. They say it supports YouTube but I will wait for official packages for F7 to try it (yes, I hope there will be update to Gnash 0.8.0, I don't compile anything when using RPM based distro ).

http://lwn.net/Articles/237827/

Last edited by a_small_cake; 12th June 2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 12th June 2007, 04:27 PM
jfmcb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_small_cake
They say is supports YouTube but I will wait for official packages for F7 to try it (yes, I hope there will be update to Gnash 0.8.0, I don't compile anything when using RPM based distro ).
SRPMs are your friends. When you need a newer version of some package that's included in Fedora, and don't want to wait for an official package, it's usually simple to install the Fedora SRPM, and modify the spec file to use the newer source tarball. Basic instructions are here; slightly out of date, but probably good enough given that you won't be having to write the spec file from scratch.

Building from SRPMs gives you all the advantages of building from source, plus all the advantages of installing from RPMs.
Old 12th June 2007, 06:43 PM
a_small_cake Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmcb
SRPMs are your friends. When you need a newer version of some package that's included in Fedora, and don't want to wait for an official package, it's usually simple to install the Fedora SRPM, and modify the spec file to use the newer source tarball. Basic instructions are here; slightly out of date, but probably good enough given that you won't be having to write the spec file from scratch.

Building from SRPMs gives you all the advantages of building from source, plus all the advantages of installing from RPMs.

Thanks I have never tried it but if you say it is simple then maybe I should.

Tags
flashplugin, gnashplugin