Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2007, 07:11 AM
jfank Offline

Ethernet Wired Network

I'm currently using Fedora Core 6. Just really started to use it, because I like this version of Linux the most. Anyhow I'm having a problem with my built in network card. When I hook up the ethernet cable to a router I'm unable to get onto the internet with it, and it seems that my network device isn't reading correctly. The device driver is installed correctly on the laptop. Hopefully I was able to word this correctly on the problem, but I jsut don't really know where to go on Fedora to get the network card set up to use it. I hope you can help me with this. Thank you
Old 8th June 2007, 07:37 AM
strikeforce Offline

ifup eth0

Try that in the command line and see if it works.

- How to pay forward
Fedora Help Wanted

- Need a quick guide
Fedora Guide
Old 8th June 2007, 12:17 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfank
I'm currently using Fedora Core 6. Just really started to use it, because I like this version of Linux the most. Anyhow I'm having a problem with my built in network card. When I hook up the ethernet cable to a router I'm unable to get onto the internet with it, and it seems that my network device isn't reading correctly. The device driver is installed correctly on the laptop. Hopefully I was able to word this correctly on the problem, but I jsut don't really know where to go on Fedora to get the network card set up to use it. I hope you can help me with this. Thank you
What brand is your ethernet card?? Open terminal window change to root and run:

lspci

and post the line for the network controller.....
Old 8th June 2007, 09:40 PM
jfank Offline

I don't know what brand it is. Whatever it is that comes on a dell laptop the Inspiron E1705 I did try that command line, but it isn't working. Maybe the wireless card will work when i figure out how to install it. I have the intel wireless network card in it, but since Fedora didn't recgonise it I have to install it myself. How would I go about doing that, like where to find the device driver to download and install it that way and what not. Thank you
Old 8th June 2007, 10:26 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

You have to change to root to run the command. Open a terminal window and type:

su - (that is SU Dash) then type:

lspci
Old 7th August 2007, 04:01 AM
EoRaptor013 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
What brand is your ethernet card?? Open terminal window change to root and run:

lspci

and post the line for the network controller.....
Has anybody solved the Dell E1705 wireless card issue? I've searched the fora, high and low, and can't find anything about it.

Here's the line from lspci:

0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)

One troubling thing, I first installed Ubuntu and it had no problem finding and enabling the wireless card. When I replaced Ubuntu (fiesty fawn) with fedora 7, the WiFi indicator light never lights up. In WinXP, this means the radio is disabled. I checked the BIOS, however, and it is enabled by default. So, apparently, fedora is disabling it and I can't seem to turn it on.

Any help would be most greatly appreciated.

EoRaptor
Old 7th August 2007, 04:39 AM
strikeforce Offline

The light doesn't work with the OSS drivers.

It should still be functioning. You should try and see if it connects. Use the little computer icon in the top right.

I have the exact same card as your and the iwl3945 driver works with it. A last resort which you can do is follow the guide in the howto forum.

- How to pay forward
Fedora Help Wanted

- Need a quick guide
Fedora Guide

Tags
ethernet, network, wired