Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2007, 04:49 PM
mdogruel Offline

volume control applet icon on gnome panel

Hi, for some reasons, after upgrading my FC6 to Fedora 7, some of the icons on my gnome panel could not be loaded. I was asked if I want to delete those applications that could not be loaded.

Among those was the volume control applet.

I fixed most of the problems that emerged due to preferring to upgrade the system instead of performing a fresh install; the wifi, usb mouse, display, suspend... Now it's time to fix simpler things

So, my question is how I can add the volume control applet to the gnome panel?

It does not show up in the list of applications when I right click on the gnome panel and select "add to panel".

Adding the "gnome-volume-control" application does not create that speaker icon which indicates the volume level, but rather it just opens the volume control application when pressed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Mutlu

Last edited by mdogruel; 8th June 2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 5th December 2010, 12:13 AM
morganney Offline

linuxchrome
Lightbulb Re: volume control applet icon on gnome panel

Mutlu,

I'm sure you no longer need this information since the post is years old now, but I'll provide a solution that worked for me in case anybody else has a similar problem.

I am currently running Fedora 14 and gnome panel 2.32.0.2.

Follow these steps to restore the gnome volume control applet and its associated icon:

1. System > Preferences > Startup Applications
2. Scroll down until you see Volume Control and check this applet. If you don't see the Volume Control as an option then click Add and provide the following values:
Name: Volume Control
Command: gnome-volume-control-applet
Comment: Show desktop volume control
3. To actually see the icon that allows you to control the volume make sure that the Notification Area applet is also added to the panel: Right click panel, Add to panel, Notification Area.

If the gnome-volume-control-applet was already running then you should now be able to see the Volume Control icon. Otherwise restart your system and then you should see it.

Goodluck
Old 5th December 2010, 01:31 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: volume control applet icon on gnome panel

Okey dokey!

Now that is settled ... Necrotic thread closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
applet, control, gnome, icon, panel, volume