Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th June 2007, 02:15 PM
geek.arnuld Offline

which distro for getting a job ?

i want to do a job as "OOAD and C++ expert on Linux platform". i know for C++ distro does not matter but what about getting a job as a developer/programmer on Linux platform ?

In INDIA,(except for Windows), most job ads require "C++ with Linux/UNIX" (i notice, Linux is much higher in requirement). so which distro will be better for getting that type of job ?
Old 12th June 2007, 02:22 PM
tw2113 Offline

i'd assume any that have the word "linux associated with them. However, based on the description you've given, probably one that's more development focused instead of more casual use, i'll say.
Old 12th June 2007, 02:31 PM
geek.arnuld Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
i'd assume any that have the word "linux associated with them. However, based on the description you've given, probably one that's more development focused instead of more casual use, i'll say.
Fedora is development focussed but i did not get the meaning of casual one. does casual-use means "for server" and less moving
Old 12th June 2007, 02:39 PM
InfRecursion Offline

I would assume Redhat Enterprise Server would be your best bet, or Fedora or CentOS... would be some of the most helpful to know.
Old 12th June 2007, 02:48 PM
tw2113 Offline

i mean for more casual use like just surfing the internet and common info processing(Open Office tasks). I'd consider Ubuntu Feisty Fawn to be more casual user based, while Fedora would be a good more high end and development one
Old 12th June 2007, 03:21 PM
SlowJet Offline

If you are a C++ expert you can write your own ticket
and don't let anyone tell you different.

Cross platform compiling is not so big a deal anymore.

Mozilla, MySql, are all C++ intense.

The thing is YOU need to set some personal goals as to what YOU want to accomplish with YOUR skills.

And as it goes, the skills set and what the job description says are miles parts, as the company looking for a positions covers all it's bases because, quite frankly, they have no idea what it takes to get the job done, they just know that they think they need it to compete.

More job positions read as if they are looking for the same handful of super people thought to exist and yet no one has been able to find them yet.

C++ coding and all it in tales is like the difference between
a computer science degree and a math degree.

Math wins hands down.
Anyone can learn how to code if they have leaned how to learn.

SJ

Last edited by SlowJet; 12th June 2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12th June 2007, 05:47 PM
geek.arnuld Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJet
If you are a C++ expert you can write your own ticket
and don't let anyone tell you different.

Cross platform compiling is not so big a deal anymore.

Mozilla, MySql, are all C++ intense.

The thing is YOU need to set some personal goals as to what YOU want to accomplish with YOUR skills.

And as it goes, the skills set and what the job description says are miles parts, as the company looking for a positions covers all it's bases because, quite frankly, they have no idea what it takes to get the job done, they just know that they think they need it to compete.

More job positions read as if they are looking for the same handful of super people thought to exist and yet no one has been able to find them yet.

C++ coding and all it in tales is like the difference between
a computer science degree and a math degree.

Math wins hands down.
Anyone can learn how to code if they have leaned how to learn.

SJ
what exactly you want to convey ? i just did not get anything :-(
Old 12th June 2007, 06:15 PM
SlowJet Offline

I was saying you need to shop around to find a place or position that fits your vision and skills and supports them.
Because the JOB and the Interviewers will be looking at other things like social skills, company culture, and industry buzz words.

You have to convince them that you are the one and you know what your doing.
So say "Who will I choose to work with, not who will pay me to be a slave.
Even more true in Indian. The men running the shops are not so nice about individual rights and career development. They are often SOB's with a high greed factor or unreal deadlines.

It's like the 1920's and 30's were in the USA.
It going to get nasty over there before it gets better unless the workers get some laws passed and elect officials to control the lawlessness of the corporations' and their influence.

Multi-National corporations are a virus to humanity, the earth, and freedom.

And until you understand that, you are just a slave and slaves don't get to choose.

SJ
Old 12th June 2007, 08:13 PM
geek.arnuld Offline

Quote:
I was saying you need to shop around to find a place or position that fits your vision and skills and supports them.
i know you said that for choosing a company but i will give it a spin ;-) my pick is:

distro: HURD
field: System Programming

but, right now ATM, i can not make any money by doing any one of them :-(

Quote:
Because the JOB and the Interviewers will be looking at other things like social skills, company culture, and industry buzz words.

You have to convince them that you are the one and you know what your doing.
it is all about selling oneself. my salesman experience will help here..

Quote:
So say "Who will I choose to work with, not who will pay me to be a slave.

Even more true in Indian. The men running the shops are not so nice about individual rights and career development. They are often SOB's with a high greed factor or unreal deadlines.

It's like the 1920's and 30's were in the USA.
It going to get nasty over there before it gets better unless the workers get some laws passed and elect officials to control the lawlessness of the corporations' and their influence.

Multi-National corporations are a virus to humanity, the earth, and freedom.

And until you understand that, you are just a slave and slaves don't get to choose.
it is OT but i will say: you are 1st man i have ever met in last 4 years, since my 1st stint with corporate world, who understood these things. my 2 years job as a salesman and now my 2 years time with softwares made me understood these things. after this time, nobody except me, understood those things. i tried to explain to people, to my best friends, some are Managers working in industry, but they laughed at me every time i said those words :-(

problem is: you and me think at a higher level than masses and masses just do not get those words.

i do NOT want to do a job.. done once and know that it is the worst thing that one does to his life.. a man must start and develop his own business and at the same time i want to get out of India because things are getting worse each year, not only corporate but social system and environment around is getting corrupted and killing technical talent :-(. worse part is that my own countrymen are doing this 1st.

forget about it.. i do not want to talk more about that. i just want to ask, is there any way for a jobless/pennyless person, like me, to start doing a software-business in UNIX/GNU distro world purely on the basis of technical talent we call programming ? may be charging money for fixing bugs or providing customisations to GPL/BSD software or something else that i do not know.. any ideas ? i do not want o do job but my Father will retire next year and i need to start money before that happens.

[Free Software or OpenSource software is whole new business-paradigm that 95% of corporate just do not get and i think that is an edge for people like me who want to start and create big empire in that paradigm.]
Old 12th June 2007, 08:16 PM
offcenter77 Offline

In general, if you understand the core competencies of Linux, you understand ALL distributions. A distribution is really nothing more than rolling a custom-tailored Linux, but the basics are always the same. The Linux kernel is the Linux kernel, and a compiler is a compiler. File systems are handled the same way across the board, as is memory allocation, file handle allocation, etc, etc.

The biggest thing is to learn the concepts well enough to apply them to any Linux or Unix-based platform. So it doesn't really matter which one you pick. Go with the one you are most comfortable with.

I would recommend Fedora, because it's a flavor of Red Hat's Linux which is used heavily in the corporate world.
Old 14th June 2007, 06:37 AM
daihard Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcenter77
I would recommend Fedora, because it's a flavor of Red Hat's Linux which is used heavily in the corporate world.
Or CentOS, which is a direct clone of RHEL. I think either of them will do. I was just tasked to setup and configure a RHEL server at work. Having been using Fedora/CentOS for quite some time, I had no trouble completing the mission.
Registered Linux User: #281828
Fedora Core 6 (kernel 2.6.22.9-61.fc6) / KDE 3.5.8
Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2 / Athlon64 X2 5200+ / 2GB Patriot PC2-5300 RAM
PNY Verto GeForce 7300GS / NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX