Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th June 2007, 03:11 AM
HudsonMan

Lightbulb Leopard-Inspired Ideas for Fedora 8!!!

What Fedora should have is an optional Mac OS X-like DOCK for Applications, a faster Beagle tool similar to MAC's spotlight, an itunes-like ogg player with optional mp3 plug-in (LAME,) an improved GIMPshop (similar to the latest Photoshop,) an improved OpenOffice 2, NVU now included, ClamAV built-in, Audacity optional, an open source DVD player, Picasa instead of iphoto, and a Calendar app. This would not only improve Fedora but it will be closer to what MAC users have enjoyed for a few years now...

Mark - linuxglobe.wordpress.com
Old 15th June 2007, 03:57 AM
leadgolem Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonMan
an itunes-like ogg player with optional mp3 plug-in
I don't know if it's anything like itunes but you could try xmms. Mp3 plugin available from the livna repo, its called xmms-mp3.
Quote:
an improved GIMPshop (similar to the latest Photoshop,)
I played with gimpshop. Frankly I wasn't really impressed by renamed buttons and everything in one big box. The gimp on fedora will improve as the gimp improves.
Quote:
ClamAV built-in,
Why? When was the last time you heard of a linux virus?
Quote:
Audacity optional,
Audacity is optional.
Quote:
an open source DVD player,
That lack stems from potential legal issues. You can get the libraries you need to play dvds from the livna repo.
Quote:
This would not only improve Fedora but it will be closer to what MAC users have enjoyed for a few years now...
In addition to those I specified, every single program type listed can be easily installed.
Quote:
I guess the guy from wordpress didn't do a huge amount of investigation before saying that. Oh well, linux in general, and fedora in particular, has been misunderstood by many.
Old 15th June 2007, 04:26 AM
Wayne

iTunes like player = Rhythmbox, Amarok, Songbird
Picassa like photo app = F-Spot (I hate Picassa and don't use the Wine/Linux version)
Calendar apps = Mozilla Lightning and Sunbird
Improved NVU = Kompozer

I agree that Beagle can be improved, especially to make it faster but everything else in Gnome worked fine for me when using Linux, Evolution has calendar and schedule functions built-in.

Wayne
Old 15th June 2007, 04:36 AM
Firewing1 Offline

First things first, remember that (a) developers don't read these forums (and therefore these types of threads) and (b) Everyone wants faster, better, easier everything but that's of course restricted by the limits of programming, computer resources and time.

Quote:
What Fedora should have is an optional Mac OS X-like DOCK for Applications,
It exists, it's just not installed by default. Gnome panel does well, but if you're looking for something more check out "kdocker"
Quote:
a faster Beagle tool similar to MAC's spotlight,
Beagle's already pretty fast...
Quote:
an itunes-like ogg player with optional mp3 plug-in (LAME,)
Legal issues... Most media plugins can't be included by default.
Quote:
an improved GIMPshop (similar to the latest Photoshop,)
Fedora doesn't even package Gimpshop - Just regular Gimp. That's a good thing too - Open software is about being open, not about being a clone of commercial software. If Photoshop is what you're looking for, then just use Photoshop and not Gimp.
Quote:
an improved OpenOffice 2,
*sighs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HusonMan
NVU now included,
Fedora is community maintained - Getting NVU included is as simple as making a package and request for it's inclusion.
Quote:
ClamAV built-in
It is - Just have to tick it of at install time. (Although it's not really required... When was the last time your Linux box got infected?)
[quote=HudsonManAudacity optional[/quote]
It is already
Quote:
an open source DVD player,
You don't seem to be looking to far... About 4 exist between all Fedora/Livna packages that I know, I'm sure more have popped up since I last checked.
Quote:
Picasa instead of iphoto,
Umm... iPhoto = Mac only. Picasa isn't in Fedora.
Quote:
and a Calendar app.
Again, there's many you just need to look in Yumex or SmartPM.
Quote:
This would not only improve Fedora but it will be closer to what MAC users have enjoyed for a few years now...
Then why not just buy a Mac if that's what you're looking for? I hate when posts like this come off sounding rude because it's really not the way I mean it. In my opinion software shouldn't adapt to users. Users shouldn't adapt to software. It needs to meet in the middle - And that means that Linux (and the open-source applications used on it) shouldn't adapt to commercial software simply due to the fact that many people use it, like it and are used to it's layout. If you're looking for Photoshop, then use Photoshop. If you're looking for Windows, then use Windows - Gimp shouldn't be pressured to become Photoshop because it's widely used and Linux become Windows (or Mac) for the same reason.
Edit: Wow, this is about the 4th time I edit this... I finally like the wording now
Firewing1

Last edited by Firewing1; 15th June 2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old 15th June 2007, 04:43 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hey Wayne!

Good to see you on again! I was beginning to think you'd gotten yourself lost!

Mark.

If you want ot use Leopard, go use leopard. If you want to use fedora, use fedora. If you really like MACs way of doing things, just go get one.

Asking fedora 8 (Linux) to lower its standards of simple clean flexibility, elegance and unique character, to emulate something lesser -- such as a MAC -- just doesn't make much sense! Everything you have asked for, already exists.

Dan
Old 15th June 2007, 06:10 AM
Wayne

Hey Dan,

Yep, got lost several times wandering in and out of pubs Need to get my PC to where I am so I can stop using a Japanese Mac.

Wayne
Old 15th June 2007, 06:16 AM
tw2113 Offline

i did miss wayne's many references to beer

oh yeah and beer

and there there's always beer

did i mention beer?
Old 15th June 2007, 06:56 AM
Dies Offline

Quote:
What Fedora should have is an optional Mac OS X-like DOCK for Applications, a faster Beagle tool similar to MAC's spotlight, an itunes-like ogg player with optional mp3 plug-in (LAME,) an improved GIMPshop (similar to the latest Photoshop,) an improved OpenOffice 2, NVU now included, ClamAV built-in, Audacity optional, an open source DVD player, Picasa instead of iphoto, and a Calendar app. This would not only improve Fedora but it will be closer to what MAC users have enjoyed for a few years now...

If you can't afford a real MAC then maybe you should try Dream Linux, it seems their philosophy would be a perfect fit for you.

I however agree with the others and hope that the main distros never become a wannabe.
Old 15th June 2007, 07:34 AM
marcrblevins Offline

Welcome back Wayne.

Went thru passport hell. Says it would take 10 weeks, but I was only doing a renewal for my 6 year old daughter and it took 15 weeks. By the time my wife physically see the passport in her hand, can't fly out, airport is booked in June, have to drive to SF to fly out to Japan.

Hudson dude:
Everytime I read the MAC spec, it really kick asses. High$$ set me back.

Go get the ass kicking MAC, partition half for MAC OS, and other half for Fedora 7. Tinker both world. For more kicks, use XEN or KVM, in other words, run both OSes for fun! If you go that direction, please share us how it went.
Old 15th June 2007, 01:34 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hey Mark! (HudsonMan)

http://www.novell.com/video/

Particularly the ones called, "PC MAC Linux 2" and "PC MAC Linux 3."

Dan
Old 16th June 2007, 12:39 AM
leadgolem Offline

I feel compelled to point out that HudsonMan was quoting. Since he has not posted again in this thread, we have no way of knowing the reason behind the original post.
Old 16th June 2007, 03:22 PM
telepatico Offline

Hudson Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadgolem
I feel compelled to point out that HudsonMan was quoting. Since he has not posted again in this thread, we have no way of knowing the reason behind the original post.
To me, he followed the advise and went to buy the MAC. Also, it could be possible, that after watching the videos, he is working on how to set up Linux on the MAC, to prove everybody is wrong. He is very busy.
17.0'' High Definition Brightview Widescreen Display
240GB (120GB x 2 – 5400rpm) Dual Hard Drive
2GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM (2Dimm)
nVidia GeForce Go 7600 with 256MB DDR (dedicated)
Lightscribe 8x DVD+-RW/R combo drive with double layer support
Intel PRO Wireless a/b/g Integrated Wireless LAN
6 in 1 digital media reader
Express card/54 PC card Slot
Type I/II PCMCIA PC card Slot
Expansion port 2
Best of all features – Fedora 7
Old 16th June 2007, 06:31 PM
marcrblevins Offline

I hope he doesn't send me the bill cause he failed. "You cause me to buy a MAC!".
Old 16th June 2007, 09:33 PM
telepatico Offline

he he he. I love my Fedora and my Laptop.
17.0'' High Definition Brightview Widescreen Display
240GB (120GB x 2 – 5400rpm) Dual Hard Drive
2GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM (2Dimm)
nVidia GeForce Go 7600 with 256MB DDR (dedicated)
Lightscribe 8x DVD+-RW/R combo drive with double layer support
Intel PRO Wireless a/b/g Integrated Wireless LAN
6 in 1 digital media reader
Express card/54 PC card Slot
Type I/II PCMCIA PC card Slot
Expansion port 2
Best of all features – Fedora 7
Old 22nd June 2007, 04:41 PM
HudsonMan

Why I posted this topic is to find ppl willing to create an html based tutorial on how to install these optional applications in a GUI app. So Windoze converts can play DVDs, Mac converts have similar apps installed, and to improve the GNOME interface. Whoever helps out with this idea will have their name posted on my blog and be known to those who aren't using Linux yet. Hopefully, a link to the tutorial will be included in Fedora 8. Ease of use is just as important as freedom! If you like to contribute to an e-magazine that wants to convert Windoze/Mac Users to Fedora Users, contact me at : linuxglobe.wordpress.com ...

Mark