<---- template headericclude ----->
Multiple Problems After Deleting "Evolution" via Package Manager (pirut?)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    riffin-rich Guest

Multiple Problems After Deleting "Evolution" via Package Manager (pirut?)

Please help. 1 day old F7 installation. I read about evolution being bloated and installed Thunderbird. Cleaning house, I searched Package Manager (pirut?) for "Evolution" and deleted 4 applications that said "Evolution" in the title. All's good, right?

1. Wireless connection dropped ... having multiple problems with netmanager in gnome
    2. Upon reboot, system defaulted to KDE instead of gnome
    3. Upon another reboot, tried to change the session in "Options" and gnome wasn't there ... just, "Last session, "default session" (which boots KDE), and "KDE session" ... hmmmm?
    4. Now re-running package manager (pirut) in KDE and I see GNOME is unchecked ... it was uninstalled!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm new to linux ... very confused as to what happened. I obviously need to check the GNOME Desktop Environment and reinstall it ... will try and see what happens ... anyone have any idea if I screwed the pooch when I deleted the four "Evolution" apps? Note it was generally a plain-vanilla (default) install with a few updates afterwards (livna) and a couple of apps...

Thanks for your help! Sincerely, Rich
    -----------
    A quick update (just 5 mins later) ...
    Checking/installing GNOME Desktop Environment fixed me. When i closed my session and started a new, I selected Options and chose "GNOME" and I was prompted if I wanted to make it the default, which I did. I'm appear to be back to where I was before. But, I'm still curious about what happened when I deleted the Evolution package ... did I screw-up? Thanks again, Rich
    Last edited by riffin-rich; 20th June 2007 at 02:23 AM. Reason: update

firstlife Guest
    So, you deleted all packages beginning with Evolution? I hope you didn't delete evolution-data-server, as this app is required by almost everything else in the system. I ran "yum remove evolution*" a while back cause I wanted to get rid of it, and yum prompted me to remove almost half of the system! That's because it is used by may other apps.

So check that it's still there from a terminal:
    su -
    (enter root password):
    rpm -q evolution-data-server

It should output a version number. If not, reinstall it, and I hope you didn't loose any more apps. Though by the sound of it you probably lost GNOME.

Here's a word from a guy who's shot himself in the foot more than once on linux (me!). Next time you want to remove an app that you don't know too much about, try yumex. Actually, I'd recommend using it above pirut. It's a graphical update/install/remove tool, like pirut, but it will tell you exactly what it is going to do. And it's fast too. Install it by openning a terminal, and then running

su
    (enter your root password)
    yum install yumex

You'll be prompted to install it (Y). And then there should be an icon in the system part of the fedora menu.

Or run "yum remove <app>" from a terminal. It will only tell you what it's about to do, so you know what's going on. (and can tell it "no") But this may be confusing, (lots of text) so try yumex first.

Remember, this is Linux. It's open, and that means programs that tell you what's going on, and allow YOU to decide what happens. That's freedom.

riffin-rich Guest
    Thanks firstlife. I'll take a look when I get home tonight ... will post back with my findings.

pete_1967 Guest
    Every time you're removing something (including using gui one - I guess that's called pirut then) you get a list of all packages that depend on one you try to uninstall that will be removed as well (I believe in GUI version it'll pop-up a separate window) and asks you to confirm your action. Always read carefully what you're about to do before doing it.

Here's a sample:
    Code:
     yum remove evolution*
    Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    Setting up Remove Process
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
    ---> Package evolution-data-server-devel.i386 0:1.8.3-6.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package evolution-data-server.i386 0:1.8.3-6.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package evolution-webcal.i386 0:2.7.1-6 set to be erased
    ---> Package evolution.i386 0:2.8.3-2.fc6 set to be erased
    --> Running transaction check
    --> Processing Dependency: libedata-book-1.2.so.2 for package: pidgin
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.7 for package: nautilus-sendto
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.7 for package: pidgin
    --> Processing Dependency: evolution-data-server >= 1.1.4 for package: gnome-panel
    --> Processing Dependency: libebook-1.2.so.9 for package: gnome-panel
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.7 for package: bug-buddy
    --> Processing Dependency: libebook-1.2.so.9 for package: control-center
    --> Processing Dependency: libebook-1.2.so.9 for package: nautilus-sendto
    --> Processing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.7 for package: gnome-panel
    --> Processing Dependency: libebook-1.2.so.9 for package: ekiga
    --> Processing Dependency: evolution-data-server for package: ekiga
    --> Processing Dependency: libebook-1.2.so.9 for package: pidgin
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.7 for package: control-center
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserverui-1.2.so.8 for package: gnome-panel
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.7 for package: ekiga
    --> Processing Dependency: libebook-1.2.so.9 for package: bug-buddy
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.7 for package: gnome-panel
    --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
    ---> Package control-center.i386 1:2.16.3-11.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package nautilus-sendto.i386 0:0.7-5.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package pidgin.i386 0:2.0.1-1.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package ekiga.i386 0:2.0.5-3.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-panel.i386 0:2.16.3-2.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package bug-buddy.i386 1:2.16.0-4.fc6 set to be erased
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-utils
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-applet-music
    --> Processing Dependency: control-center >= 2.0 for package: gnome-volume-manager
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: lock-keys-applet
    --> Processing Dependency: gnome-panel >= 2.5.1 for package: gnome-netstatus
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-netstatus
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-applet-netspeed
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-pilot
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: libgail-gnome
    --> Processing Dependency: nautilus-sendto = 0.7-5.fc6 for package: nautilus-sendto-bluetooth
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-python2-applet
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: NetworkManager-gnome
    --> Processing Dependency: libgnome-window-settings.so.1 for package: compiz
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-applets
    --> Processing Dependency: gnome-panel for package: NetworkManager-gnome
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-applet-sensors
    --> Processing Dependency: control-center for package: gnome-session
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-panel-devel
    --> Processing Dependency: gnome-panel = 2.16.3 for package: gnome-panel-devel
    --> Processing Dependency: gnome-panel >= 2.13.4 for package: gnome-applets
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-applet-timer
    --> Processing Dependency: libpanel-applet-2.so.0 for package: gnome-pilot
    ---> Package gnome-applet-music.i386 0:0.9.2-2.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-applet-timer.i386 0:1.3.3-1.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-session.i386 0:2.16.3-1.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-utils.i386 1:2.16.0-1.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-netstatus.i386 0:2.12.0-5.1 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-panel-devel.i386 0:2.16.3-2.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package compiz.i386 0:0.3.6-2.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-python2-applet.i386 0:2.16.0-1.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package libgail-gnome.i386 0:1.1.3-1.2.1 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-volume-manager.i386 0:2.15.0-4.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package lock-keys-applet.i386 0:1.0-11.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-pilot.i386 0:2.0.13-16 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-pilot.i386 0:2.0.15-1.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package nautilus-sendto-bluetooth.i386 0:0.7-5.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-applet-sensors.i386 0:1.7.8-3.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-applet-netspeed.i386 0:0.13-7.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package NetworkManager-gnome.i386 1:0.6.4-5.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-applets.i386 1:2.16.0.1-12.fc6 set to be erased
    --> Processing Dependency: libgpilotd.so.2 for package: gnome-pilot-conduits
    --> Processing Dependency: libgpilotdconduit.so.2 for package: gnome-pilot-conduits
    --> Processing Dependency: libgpilotdcm.so.2 for package: gnome-pilot-conduits
    --> Processing Dependency: gnome-pilot >= 2.0.15 for package: gnome-pilot-conduits
    --> Processing Dependency: libgpilotdcm.so.2 for package: gnome-pilot-devel
    --> Processing Dependency: gnome-pilot = 2.0.15 for package: gnome-pilot-devel
    --> Processing Dependency: libgpilotdconduit.so.2 for package: gnome-pilot-devel
    --> Processing Dependency: gnome-python2-applet for package: gnome-schedule
    --> Processing Dependency: libgpilotd.so.2 for package: gnome-pilot-devel
    ---> Package gnome-pilot-devel.i386 0:2.0.15-1.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-schedule.noarch 0:1.1.0-1.fc6 set to be erased
    ---> Package gnome-pilot-conduits.i386 0:2.0.15-1.fc6 set to be erased

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
     Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size 
    Removing:
     evolution               i386       2.8.3-2.fc6      installed          36 M
     evolution-data-server   i386       1.8.3-6.fc6      installed         9.9 M
     evolution-data-server-devel  i386       1.8.3-6.fc6      installed         3.6 M
     evolution-webcal        i386       2.7.1-6          installed         265 k
    Removing for dependencies:
     NetworkManager-gnome    i386       1:0.6.4-5.fc6    installed         393 k
     bug-buddy               i386       1:2.16.0-4.fc6   installed         1.6 M
     compiz                  i386       0.3.6-2.fc6      installed         2.7 M
     control-center          i386       1:2.16.3-11.fc6  installed         8.2 M
     ekiga                   i386       2.0.5-3.fc6      installed          13 M
     gnome-applet-music      i386       0.9.2-2.fc6      installed         236 k
     gnome-applet-netspeed   i386       0.13-7.fc6       installed         401 k
     gnome-applet-sensors    i386       1.7.8-3.fc6      installed         201 k
     gnome-applet-timer      i386       1.3.3-1.fc6      installed         262 k
     gnome-applets           i386       1:2.16.0.1-12.fc6  installed          32 M
     gnome-netstatus         i386       2.12.0-5.1       installed         971 k
     gnome-panel             i386       2.16.3-2.fc6     installed          10 M
     gnome-panel-devel       i386       2.16.3-2.fc6     installed         170 k
     gnome-pilot             i386       2.0.13-16        installed         1.7 M
     gnome-pilot             i386       2.0.15-1.fc6     installed         1.9 M
     gnome-pilot-conduits    i386       2.0.15-1.fc6     installed         415 k
     gnome-pilot-devel       i386       2.0.15-1.fc6     installed         403 k
     gnome-python2-applet    i386       2.16.0-1.fc6     installed          16 k
     gnome-schedule          noarch     1.1.0-1.fc6      installed         1.5 M
     gnome-session           i386       2.16.3-1.fc6     installed         1.3 M
     gnome-utils             i386       1:2.16.0-1.fc6   installed         8.5 M
     gnome-volume-manager    i386       2.15.0-4.fc6     installed         1.9 M
     libgail-gnome           i386       1.1.3-1.2.1      installed          60 k
     lock-keys-applet        i386       1.0-11.fc6       installed          91 k
     nautilus-sendto         i386       0.7-5.fc6        installed         174 k
     nautilus-sendto-bluetooth  i386       0.7-5.fc6        installed         8.6 k
     pidgin                  i386       2.0.1-1.fc6      installed          16 M

Transaction Summary
    Install      0 Package(s)         
    Update       0 Package(s)         
    Remove      31 Package(s)         

Is this ok [y/N]:
    Note the last line asking your confimation first. I'm quite sure the GUI version will do the same - asks you to confirm what you're going to do before doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe there should be a size 24 banner on this forum saying: "Never ever remove evolution" somewhere
    Asus K55VD, i5 3230M - Productivity/Programming (F28)
    Asus M32CD - i7-6700, Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD, 1x8 GB Sk Hynix 2133 MHz DDR4 - Gaming (W10)

pete_1967 Guest
    IMHO it's a bad thing that removing packages that are essentially (should be) just a part of an email client results effectively crippling your system.

riffin-rich Guest
    So ... does this mean I've screwed the pooch and I should go ahead with a format/repartition now? Note I've been frustrated since I installed via the default installation ... F7 put my /home on the same partition as my '/' partition ... I'd prefer it have its own partition for future installs... I suppose now's the best time to start over...? I also need to start another thread about security before I go down that path ... I'll do that now.

If you're familiar with an old George Carlin song, "Ohhhh, $h!t, p|55, f**k, $**k, gobble, nibble, chew, ..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if the update and installing Gnome Desktop Environment got Gnome back for you you should be fine.
    Code:
    rpm -qa |grep evolution
    You will probably find that evolution-data-server has been reinstalled. If you want to make a home partition to save your data, I'm sure someone can tell you how to do it without reinstalling. But it will probably also depend on your currenty partition scheme and whether or not you are using LVM. I know nothing about LVM and I have only resized partitions once (my first install). I don't really recall how. :S I think gparted can do it.
    Removing evolution is not a problem. It will remove evolution-sharp as a dependency but will leave data-server intact. Removing all evolution packages is/was the problem. But I do agree that red flags should go up when critical apps are marked for removal.
    Follow pete_1967's advice and use yum and always check the final list before continuing, AND avoid the -y switch for removals. Or use yumex.

BTW, I don';t know about pup or pirut but yum will give you a log you can refer to so in the future you can check what has been installed or removed and may find it easier to track problems. /var/log/yum.log
    Last edited by u-noneinc-s; 20th June 2007 at 08:42 PM.
    Mark N.

Perpetual Newbie
    --
    I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted

riffin-rich Guest
    Yeah, but the only problem with the post Pete wrote is that you've got to be knowlegeable enough to know what it all means. I'm a self-proclaimed Windows guru (just ask me and I'll tell you so) ... but this linux stuff ... hmmmm ... I foresee being a newbie for a long time to come. ;-) Much bigger and brighter "are you sure you want to screw this up?" red-flags would have been helpful ... ;-) I had yumex installed ... but went to the "add/remove programs" tab instead ... I just didn't know what I didn't know. Thanks for all of your time/replies! Sincerely, Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riffin-rich
    I'm a self-proclaimed Windows guru (just ask me and I'll tell you so) ... but this linux stuff ... hmmmm ... I foresee being a newbie for a long time to come. ;-)
    Hello Rich, I don't think it has to take that long, the main thing you'll have to do is change your mindset/attitudes/habits regarding an OS. In Linux things work a bit different than on Windows - but not that different - and once you'll get the grip of it, it's as easy, if not way easier than Windows.

Just play with it a bit more and bring your system some more times to a complete halt, that's actually a very instructive exercise. That way you'll learn very quickly that removing too much stuff is not always a good idea, especially if you don't know exactly what you are removing -

Another thing you'll learn is that you don't have to remove Evolution in order to use Thunderbird. That could have avoided all the mess you created recently (and I was very surprised to read that uninstalling Evo had such a great effect on Gnome, didn't know that either!).

Cheers, Paul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can reinstall everything that was removed with
    Code:
    yum install $(cat /var/log/yum.log | grep Erased | cut -d " " -f 5)
    To limit the reinstall to recent Erased files count back in the yum.log from the end to the appropriate place and then instead of 'cat' use 'tail -n' where n is the number of lines you counted back

the log file may be called yum.log.1 if the cron logrotate job has run since you deleted the packages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another command to add to my list
    Mark N.

Perpetual Newbie
    --
    I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted

firstlife Guest
    That's a great command from sideways, and if you just add an * to yum.log , will get yum.log and all of the backups. (yum.log.1 yum.log.2 yum.log.3 ....). It just makes things easier. But note that it will reinstall every package you have ever remove, even evolution.

yum install $(cat /var/log/yum.log* | grep Erased | cut -d " " -f 5)

Then run
    yum remove evolution

and leave it like that. It will leave the evolution librarys there, but that's fine. There is probably some program out there (and even on the system) that uses them. Great. They take up a few megabytes, and just sit there. Best of all, no headaches.

riffin-rich Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paul matthijsse
    ... Another thing you'll learn is that you don't have to remove Evolution in order to use Thunderbird. That could have avoided all the mess you created recently (and I was very surprised to read that uninstalling Evo had such a great effect on Gnome, didn't know that either!). Cheers, Paul.
    Ahhh. So as the linux diagnosis comes to a close, the psychiatric diagnosis shall begin. In addition to being a self-proclaimed windows expert (just ask me and I'll tell you so), I'm also a self-diagnosed Type A-A+++ with an obcessive compulsive disorder ... while I realize I didn't "need" to remove Evolution ... you simply don't understand that it's not an issue that can even be discussed. My flawed personality disorder mandates it be removed if it's not being used. We can't have clutter. Clutter is bad and must be banished. Speaking of clutter, I need to find out how to defrag my disk in F7 ... I'm sure that my drive will start looking like a "stuff" drawer if I don't get on that soon ... and I can't have that now. ;-)

But seriously ... thanks to all of you for chiming in here... I'm learning and hopefully someone else will learn from my foolish mistake. The UNDELETE command is way cool ... will do that next and report back with progress. Will then just run
    yum remove evolution
    Thanks again to all!!! Regards, Rich

riffin-rich Guest
    It worked! I love you guys! ;-) Here's what it looked like if you're interested. Thanks so much for your help!

[Rich@localhost ~]$ sudo yum install $(cat /var/log/yum.log | grep Erased | cut -d " " -f 5)
    Loading "fedorakmod" plugin
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    livna 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
    fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
    updates 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB 00:00
    macromedia 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
    Resolving Dependencies
    ---> Package gnome-panel-devel.i386 0:2.18.2-2.fc7 set to be updated
    ---> Package evolution-data-server-devel.i386 0:1.10.2-3.fc7 set to be updated
    ---> Package evolution-webcal.i386 0:2.10.0-1.fc7 set to be updated
    ---> Package ekiga.i386 0:2.0.9-1.fc7 set to be updated
    ---> Package gnome-pilot-devel.i386 0:2.0.15-5.fc7 set to be updated
    ---> Package pidgin.i386 0:2.0.1-1.fc7 set to be updated
    ---> Package evolution.i386 0:2.10.2-2.fc7 set to be updated

Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
    Package Arch Version Repository Size
    Installing:
    ekiga i386 2.0.9-1.fc7 fedora 6.6 M
    evolution i386 2.10.2-2.fc7 updates 33 M
    evolution-data-server-devel i386 1.10.2-3.fc7 updates 602 k
    evolution-webcal i386 2.10.0-1.fc7 fedora 93 k
    gnome-panel-devel i386 2.18.2-2.fc7 updates 56 k
    gnome-pilot-devel i386 2.0.15-5.fc7 fedora 32 k
    pidgin i386 2.0.1-1.fc7 updates 6.0 M

Transaction Summary
    Install 7 Package(s)
    Update 0 Package(s)
    Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 47 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    (1/7): evolution-2.10.2-2 100% |=========================| 33 MB 02:10
    (2/7): pidgin-2.0.1-1.fc7 100% |=========================| 6.0 MB 00:28
    ftp://ftp.applios.net/pub/fedora/lin....fc7.i386.rpm: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 421 There are too many connected users, please try later.
    Trying other mirror.
    (3/7): gnome-pilot-devel- 100% |=========================| 32 kB 00:00
    (4/7): ekiga-2.0.9-1.fc7. 100% |=========================| 6.6 MB 00:09
    (5/7): evolution-webcal-2 100% |=========================| 93 kB 00:00
    (6/7): evolution-data-ser 100% |=========================| 602 kB 00:01
    (7/7): gnome-panel-devel- 100% |=========================| 56 kB 00:00
    Running Transaction Test
    Finished Transaction Test
    Transaction Test Succeeded
    Running Transaction
    Installing: evolution ######################### [1/7]
    Installing: gnome-panel-devel ######################### [2/7]
    Installing: evolution-data-server-devel ######################### [3/7]
    Installing: evolution-webcal ######################### [4/7]
    Installing: ekiga ######################### [5/7]
    Installing: gnome-pilot-devel ######################### [6/7]
    Installing: pidgin ######################### [7/7]

Installed: ekiga.i386 0:2.0.9-1.fc7 evolution.i386 0:2.10.2-2.fc7 evolution-data-server-devel.i386 0:1.10.2-3.fc7 evolution-webcal.i386 0:2.10.0-1.fc7 gnome-panel-devel.i386 0:2.18.2-2.fc7 gnome-pilot-devel.i386 0:2.0.15-5.fc7 pidgin.i386 0:2.0.1-1.fc7
    Complete!

[Rich@localhost ~]$ sudo yum remove evolution
    Loading "fedorakmod" plugin
    Setting up Remove Process
    Resolving Dependencies
    ---> Package evolution.i386 0:2.10.2-2.fc7 set to be erased

Dependencies Resolved

Package Arch Version Repository Size
    Removing:
    evolution i386 2.10.2-2.fc7 installed 59 M

Transaction Summary
    Install 0 Package(s)
    Update 0 Package(s)
    Remove 1 Package(s)

Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    Running Transaction Test
    Finished Transaction Test
    Transaction Test Succeeded
    Running Transaction
    Removing : evolution ######################### [1/1]

Removed: evolution.i386 0:2.10.2-2.fc7
    Complete!