Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th June 2007, 06:33 AM
jvroig Offline

Pidgin latest update heads up

Hey guys,

Just a heads up, the latest update to pidgin (I just updated my system today, 6/27, and pidgin and libpurple were among the packages that were updated) seems to have borked pidgin a little - at least my pidgin which needs to connect through a proxy. Setting the proxy through the HTTP option in pidgin itself (which is what I've been using since I started with Gaim) doesn't work anymore (results in connection error 503), and the same thing happens even if you set pidgin to use GNOME proxy settings and set the proxy settings on Preferences->Network Proxy.

I am sure the next update (very soon) will fix this. Just a heads up in case someone gets frustrated as to why pidgin doesn't want to work with their proxy. Pidgin works with proxies, has been working ever since, it's just that the latest update must have borked something.

When I get home, I will see if Pidgin works using a direct connection to the internet (no proxy) and update this thread.

Cheers.
Old 27th June 2007, 07:28 AM
JEO Offline

I updated pidgin today also to pidgin-2.0.2-3.fc6.1, libpurple-2.0.2-3.fc6.1. Direct connection to the internet, aim connected normally but yahoo connection took a few minutes. Could be my internet is unusually slow in general or could be the new pidgin, not sure.
Old 27th June 2007, 10:44 AM
jvroig Offline

After just a few hours, Pidgin now works fine with our proxy. No more 503 error code. There was no update done. I have no idea what changed, as I did not even change any setting at all. I just tried it again and this time it connected as usual. Good stuff.
Old 27th June 2007, 11:08 AM
JEO Offline

I reverted my pidgin and libpurple back to the previous 2.0.1-1.fc6 version and my 5 minute timeouts (or more) connecting to yahoo were fixed.

Tags
heads, latest, pidgin, update