Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th June 2007, 07:29 PM
rgaelzer Offline

Upgrading to F7: conflict issues.

I've just upgraded my x86_64 system from FC6 to F7. I intended to do a thorough update using pup, including the kernel. However, some packages reported conflicts:

elfutils-libelf-0.128-2.fc7.x86_64
esound-1:0.2.38-2.fc7.x86_64
mkinitrd-6.0.9-7.1.x86_64
pidgin-2.0.2-3.fc7.x86_64

The mkinitrd conflict is even preventing me from updating the kernel. How should I proceed in this case?

Thank you.
Old 29th June 2007, 07:58 PM
SlowJet Offline

Do an "advanced search" (upper small menu bar under GUIDELINES @ top of site.)

FC6 upgrade # key words

Last 2 weeks

there are 36 hits

SJ
Old 29th June 2007, 08:27 PM
rgaelzer Offline

Thanks for the tip, SlowJet. I did the search as you suggested, and found this post:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ht=FC6+upgrade

Don't know why couldn't find it before. I DID a search before sending this post...

Anyway, the trick seems to get rid of the i386 packages. Those are the ones that created the conflicts.
Yumex was able to remove the i386 packages without complains. I just hope that my system doesn't become unstable.
Yumex is supposed to check whether the packages are required by others or not, right?
If those i386 packages are not required anymore, why were they left on the system by the upgrade scripts, on the first place?
Old 29th June 2007, 08:39 PM
SlowJet Offline

If those i386 packages are not required anymore, why were they left on the system by the upgrade scripts, on the first place?

Stuff hapeens and thigns gte mesesd pu.
Did Windows Xp work out of the box? NOOOOO and it took over a year to fix it, and then 2 more years to get an updated system.

I was in a mall (of all places waiting to see Live Free or Die Hard) last night and there was a Dell exhibit of laptops with Windows Vista Ultra on them. Actually my son was messing with them.
We were trying to read the system info screen that says Intel core 2 dual, 2048 MB, 2.66 Ghertz, etc.
It kept minimizing and the guys in charge of the display didn't have root, nor did they know why it did that.

After a third attempt, the system rebooted.

Some day we'll all use FreeBSD.

SJ

Tags
conflict, issues, upgrading