Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 27th January 2006, 06:48 AM
mgdodge Offline

Urgent Help Needed!!!!

This topic has been around for a while...hopefully that means enough of you have resolved the problem that someone will be able to help me out.

I am running CentOS4, which is virtually identical to RedHat Enterprise 4 and Fedora 4. I have followed the instructions in this thread to the letter, and the most I can get is a black VNC screen with an "X" for a cursor. The cursor moves, but nothing ever comes up into the window.

Recently, I moved my server to a new IP, one without a router to act as a firewall. This server never had problems with VNC until I enabled the firewall on it...and poof. I have opened ports 5900 & 5901, UDP 177 and 138 (/var/log/messages had a line with "SPT=138 DPT=138" as per some of the troubleshooting on this forum), nothing helps. I disable the firewall and reboot...nothing.

The wierd thing is that I can log in using putty, type "vncserver" to start it that way, and I get it to work just great.

Any troubleshooting ideas would be most welcome. I am willing to post server logs and config files if it will help out at all.
Old 27th January 2006, 09:26 AM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

Excuse me, but I don't follow you... You mean that, before, you were able to connect to your box without starting vncserver in advance ?
Old 27th January 2006, 09:44 AM
mgdodge Offline

Without manually starting it, yes. The method stated in this thread allows the server to listen on ports 5900 and 5901 for incoming connections, and when it detects one it displays the standard gnome login screen. I was able to do just that until yesterday, when I had to move my server and implement the firewall I described...which seems to have hosed something. I can connect if I start vnc manually, but I would like to have it automatically listening as before.
Old 27th January 2006, 12:02 PM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

Ah, ok...I had missed the first post, sorry.
Old 27th January 2006, 01:05 PM
alphonsebrown Offline

I still don't know how to setup the xvnc setup so that is starts the login form rather than gnome-session for example, can you help me out?
Windows doesn't just crash - it opens a dialog box and lets you press OK first. Powered by RedHat since I know my self ;) Fedora 12 #379190
Old 5th February 2006, 04:33 AM
cottsay Offline

Alright, for me, I can get the VNC to start, but it doesn't start gdm - I just get a black screen with an X cursur, and when I boot, it sits at the startup screen, and my mouse freezes, when at that point it should be moving to the greeter. Anyone?

Scott K Logan
CottsayNet
logans@cottsay.net
Old 5th February 2006, 04:41 AM
Firewing1 Offline

See my sig link; I modded this how-to a little and it works fine for me.
Firewing1
Old 5th February 2006, 04:58 AM
cottsay Offline

Alright, now it just puts up a colored background and a hourglass and then kills the connection, and on startup, I still get no greeter. It just locks up. I'm using FC4 btw...

Thanks,

Scott K Logan
CottsayNet
logans@cottsay.net
Old 5th February 2006, 05:10 AM
Firewing1 Offline

Did you run gdmsetup and allowed TCP connections / enabled XDMCP? That could be the cause of killing X...
And, what resolution / connection speed are you using?
Firewing1
Old 5th February 2006, 05:34 AM
cottsay Offline

yea, yea both 800 and 1024, and i'm on a 10/100 connection. I've had previous VNC's working - i'm just looking at the GDM approatch - just now I got my FC3 box to do it...sorta - it doesn't bring up the greeter at startup, and when I vnc to it, it brings my to the greeter and I can log in. Is there a way that I could make it so that I don't end the session when I log out of VNC or anything?

Thanks,

Scott K Logan
CottsayNet
logans@cottsay.net
Old 5th February 2006, 04:33 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Hmmm....
Same happened to me. Eventually I got the gdm to display... How it did it is in that how to... :S I can't really help there
but as for the gdm at startup, I did this part of the how-to:
Code:
      edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
      find the [servers] section
      Change
           0=Standard
      to
           #0=Standard
And this disables GDM at startup. So, to enable it, edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, and change:
Code:
#0=Standard
to
0=Standard
Also, I'm sure you've done it -- but you'll need to add ports 5900 - 5901 (tcp) to your firewall in order for them to work -- That's another symptom of a connection dieing.

Hope it helps,
Firewing1

Last edited by Firewing1; 5th February 2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 5th February 2006, 08:28 PM
cottsay Offline

I did find a way of doing what I wanted...

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/x0.html

...basically incorperates VNC into X - very easy to do. It works exactly how I wanted it to.
Thanks for your help!
Old 6th March 2006, 02:04 PM
Airmister Offline

This is a great post. Thank you so much.

Can't wait to get home from work to try this out on my FC4!!
Old 7th March 2006, 09:11 AM
alphonsebrown Offline

The idea is to do it from your work for example
Windows doesn't just crash - it opens a dialog box and lets you press OK first. Powered by RedHat since I know my self ;) Fedora 12 #379190
Old 7th March 2006, 09:41 AM
Airmister Offline

Hehe

I understood that. But first I had to set up the system. And secondly at work we have a very restrictive firewall and proxy, so I don't think I'll be able to run my linux box from there.

But it worked perfectly after a few tweaks and tries. I've been trying to do this kind of thing for a week now. Finally I can.

Thank you again to the starter of this tread and the rest of you guys who contributed.

Tags
gdm, vnc