Old 13th July 2007, 02:34 AM
Wayne

Apple buys cups, hires developer

Apple buys the CUPS sourcecode and hires its developer:

http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L475

Wayne
Old 13th July 2007, 04:18 AM
stoat Offline

Thanks for that, rondonjin. This kind of thing is interesting to me because it kind of confirms something I have always thought. On a regular basis I read a post where someone (usually an MS basher) says something related in one way or another to Linux being superior to Windows and someday taking significant market share from MS. Or, that it would happen now if only something about Linux was better. Etc., etc., etc. Whenever I have read those comments, I have always thought to myself that if Linux ever did become that dominant, then Linux would stop being free. Code and rights would be purchased by giant corporations. The developers would be hired by them. Oh we would still have our Linux. It would just come in a pretty box and cost $100. Personally, I wish MS well. Not just because I still use their products and find them useful, but because I like Linux the way it is now.
Old 13th July 2007, 12:18 PM
rjstaaf Offline

I saw the article yesterday. It is interesting, looks like at least one comment was deleted. The first comment was "enjoy your fork" which seemed very appropriate as Apple isn't exactly known for Open Source.

Embarrassing myself, one post at a time!
http://community.webshots.com/user/rjstaaf
Old 13th July 2007, 12:28 PM
rerushg Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat
Thanks for that, rondonjin. I have always thought to myself that if Linux ever did become that dominant, then Linux would stop being free.
Yup. Agreed.
Rock, paper, scissors......... nice game.
Rock, paper, scissors, big bucks......not a nice game.
Old 13th July 2007, 12:35 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

"acquired ownership the CUPS source code"
"CUPS will still be released under the existing GPL2/LGPL2 licensing terms"

Although I doubt very much they'll change the licensing for it - that'd hurt them more than anyone, I find it interesting that they paid for the code - or he has misunderstood what they paid for.
Old 13th July 2007, 12:48 PM
leigh123linux

Good luck to him ( It would appear that GPL doesn't cover MAC for CUPS )

Quote:
Article #178: How Is CUPS Licensed?

Created at 10:58 Jul 23, 2004 by mike

Last modified at 17:32 Oct 22, 2006

The Common UNIX Printing SystemTM, ("CUPSTM"), is provided under the GNU General Public License ("GPL") and GNU Library General Public License ("LGPL"), Version 2, with exceptions for Apple operating systems and the OpenSSL toolkit.

The GNU LGPL applies to the CUPS and CUPS Imaging libraries located in the "cups" and "filter" subdirectories of the CUPS source distribution and in the "cups" include directory and library files in the binary distributions. The GNU GPL applies to the remainder of the CUPS distribution, including the "pdftops" filter which is based upon Xpdf.

For those not familiar with the GNU GPL, the license basically allows you to:

* Use the CUPS software at no charge.
* Distribute verbatim copies of the software in source or binary form.
* Sell verbatim copies of the software for a media fee, or sell support for the software.

What this license does not allow you to do is make changes or add features to CUPS and then sell a binary distribution without source code. You must provide source for any changes or additions to the software, and all code must be provided under the GPL or LGPL as appropriate. The only exceptions to this are the portions of the CUPS software covered by the Apple operating system license exceptions outlined later in this license agreement.

The GNU LGPL relaxes the "link-to" restriction, allowing you to develop applications that use the CUPS and CUPS Imaging libraries under other licenses and/or conditions as appropriate for your application, driver, or filter.
http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L178+I0+TFAQ+M10+P1+Q
Old 13th July 2007, 01:00 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Ah, that explains it Thanks.